1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area between 2 curves, Volume around X and Y, Centroid

1. Apr 29, 2017 #1
    g(x)= √(19x) = upper curve
    f(x)= 0.2x^2 = lower curve

Firstly, I found the point of intersection, which would later give the upper values for x and y.
    x=7.802
    y=12.174

Then I found the area under g(x) and took away the area under f(x) to get the area between the curves.
    31.67 units^2

This is where I will include the equations so it is easy to see if I have done it right.

VolX = ∫π[(g(x)^2)-(f(x)^2)] dx
    (The outer line squared minus the inner line squared)
    Putting in my values for g(x)^2 and f(x)^2
    g(x)^2 = 19x
    f(x)^2 = 0.04x^4
    Between 0 and 7.802 this gave me a volume of 1090.133 units^3

VolY = ∫π[(f(y)^2)-(g(y)^2)] dy
    This time the line that was the inner in relation to the x axis becomes the outer and vice versa.
    f(y)^2 = 5y
    g(y)^2 = (y^4)/361
    Solving this integral between 0 and 12.174 gave me a volume of 698.59 units^3

Next, the task was to find the centroid of the area, specifically using the theorem of pappus. This task is given a distinction mark, however after looking at it it seems quite simple and I'm not sure if I am missing something.

VolX = Shaded area x 2π(ybar)

So (1090.133)/(31.67x2π) = ybar = 5.478

Then I haven't done xbar yet but I would think that I just do the same with VolY = Shaded area x 2π(xbar)

Is there anything that you can see that I might have missed that makes the last part more difficult?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I gather it is also bounded by x=0.
    I don't understand why you are working with volumes to find the centroid of an area. In particular, how do you get π in there?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted