First Battery Charge for Dell Inspiron 15 E114

In summary, the first battery charge for the Dell Inspiron 15 E114 should be for at least 8 hours to ensure optimal performance and battery life. It is recommended to fully drain and charge the battery 2-3 times before regular use. It is also important to use the original charger and not to overcharge the battery, as this can damage it. Additionally, it is advised to keep the laptop plugged in while performing high-demand tasks to avoid draining the battery too quickly.
Siberion
Yesterday, I purchased a new laptop, more specifically a Dell Inspiron 15 E114. Due to my excitement, after I unpacked it, I inmediately plugged in the cord to check out the software, and I explored its features for about 20 minutes, then I turned it off and unplugged it.

After that, I realized there was a tiny sheet of paper next to the manual which said that, in order to get the max. efficiency, I should not plug in the notebook with the battery on before doing an initial charge of at least 12 hours.

As of right now I'm kind of worried, because I'm pretty obsessive with these kind of things, and I fear that my battery efficiency will not be optimal because of the first 20 minutes I connected the battery when I opened the package. But in which amount would the efficiency decrease? I've talked to some people and they said that the initial 12 hours charge doesn't really matter with modern computers, because the battery already has a tiny initial charge for the obvious reason that most people feel like exploring their new adquisition inmediately after unpacking it, but I'm not really sure.

It is a Lithium Ion Battery (6-Cell). It'd be really appreciated if someone who knows about this topic could help me.

Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unlike NiCad Li-ion don't need an initial priming charge.
Don't worry about it

http://batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
NobodySpecial said:
Don't worry about it

Thanks for the info and the link. That was really helpful. But then I wonder, why would Dell still include that message?. Is it simply a 'just to make sure' step to follow?

Lithium-ion batteries deliver full power after the initial charge. Manufacturers of lithium-ion cells insist that no priming is required. However, priming is beneficial as an initial start and to verify battery performance. Excessive cycling should be avoided because of wear-down effect.

In which way would it be beneficial as an initial start?Sorry if this seems to obvious, I don't know much about the subject, thanks again for your help!

They might include the message because they used to have it with nicads and nobody got round to changing it, or because people would otherwise charge the battery for 20mins then complain if the machine didn't run for the advertised 3hour battery life or the windows battery power meter needs to start with a full charge to calibrate the time remaining

NobodySpecial said:
Don't worry about it

But if you'd prefer to be worried, you can't change what's done, but you can follow the instructions from here on out.

At one time I was told leaving my laptop's Lithium-ion batter plugged in all the time would ruin the battery, but after three straight years in that state, it still lasts 7 hours on its battery, the same as it did when I first bought it, and an overnight recharge gives it another 7 hours of life.

I use it as a desktop more than 95% of the time.

Related to First Battery Charge for Dell Inspiron 15 E114

1. How long should I charge my Dell Inspiron 15 E114 for the first time?

It is recommended to charge your Dell Inspiron 15 E114 for 2-3 hours for the first time. This will ensure that the battery reaches its maximum capacity and can provide longer battery life.

2. Can I use my Dell Inspiron 15 E114 while it is charging for the first time?

Yes, you can use your Dell Inspiron 15 E114 while it is charging for the first time. However, it is recommended to use it on battery power until it reaches a low battery level before plugging it in for its first charge.

3. How do I know when my Dell Inspiron 15 E114 is fully charged for the first time?

You can check the battery indicator on your Dell Inspiron 15 E114 to see when it is fully charged for the first time. Once the battery is fully charged, the indicator will show that the battery is at 100%.

4. Is it necessary to fully drain the battery before charging it for the first time?

No, it is not necessary to fully drain the battery before charging it for the first time. It is recommended to charge the battery when it reaches a low battery level to ensure optimal battery life.

5. Can I leave my Dell Inspiron 15 E114 plugged in after it is fully charged for the first time?

Yes, you can leave your Dell Inspiron 15 E114 plugged in after it is fully charged for the first time. However, it is recommended to unplug the charger once the battery is fully charged to avoid overcharging and potentially damaging the battery.