First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus

In summary: Further, it's a standard exercise in measure theory to show that for any ##f \in L^1[0,1]##, the antiderivative ##\int_{[0,x]} f## is absolutely continuous. This of course is just a part of Fundamental Theorem of Lebesgue integration.
Peter G.
Hi,

I just learned about the First Fundamental theorem of calculus. From my understanding, it talks specifically about definite integrals. I was wondering if there is any sort of theorem that proves that the derivative of the indefinite integral of a function is equal to the function itself.

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Me too,

I have learned Differential Calculus recently, And then integral Calculus.

I am not sure if there is a theorem because we derive other equations from calculus itself.

I am not sure Peter, but i will get back to you after i figure it out.

That is the very definition of the indefinite integral.

Likes 1 person
The definition of indefinite integral is the derivative of the indefinite integral of a function is equal to the function itself. The fundamental theorem establishes that definite and indefinite integrals are almost the same thing. Which is why they have very similar notation. this causes confusion at times.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much guys! I hope this is useful to you too, utkarshraj!

But there are some subtleties to consider too: Not every (differentiable) function can be recovered from its pointwise derivative . The Cantor function f is not the integral of its derivative, since f is a.e. constant , so you do not recover the integral from its pointwise derivative --since f' is a.e. 0, so that:

∫f' =∫0 * =0 ≠ f , but f is not constant.

* f' is a.e. 0 but not actually 0 .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_function

Bacle2 said:
But there are some subtleties to consider too: Not every (differentiable) function can be recovered from its pointwise derivative . The Cantor function f is not the integral of its derivative, since f is a.e. constant , so you do not recover the integral from its pointwise derivative --since f' is a.e. 0, so that:

∫f' =∫0 * =0 ≠ f , but f is not constant.

* f' is a.e. 0 but not actually 0 .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor_function

OK, but the Cantor function is not even differentiable. It's only a.e. differentiable.

Right, but the point is that it is Riemann-integrable but does not have an antiderivative, so you
work a.e.

Bacle2 said:
Right, but the point is that it is Riemann-integrable but does not have an antiderivative, so you
work a.e.

Why wouldn't it have an antiderivative?

By post #6 and the fact that integrals of a.e functions are equal, there is no F with F'=f , where f is the Cantor function.

Bacle2 said:
By post #6 and the fact that integrals of a.e functions are equal, there is no F with F'=f , where f is the Cantor function.

Since ##f## is continuous, it seems to me that ##\int_0^x f## would do the trick...

∫f'=∫0=0 , where the integral is over [0,1]

Bacle2 said:
∫f'=∫0=0 , where the integral is over [0,1]

That's true. So why does that imply that ##f## has no antiderivative?

I absolutely agree that the cantor function isn't absolutely continuous.

But why does that imply that it doesn't have an antiderivative. Since the Cantor function ##f## is continuous, doesn't the fundamental theorem of calculus imply that ##\int_0^x f## is an antiderviative?

micromass said:
I absolutely agree that the cantor function isn't absolutely continuous.

But why does that imply that it doesn't have an antiderivative. Since the Cantor function ##f## is continuous, doesn't the fundamental theorem of calculus imply that ##\int_0^x f## is an antiderviative?

Further, it's a standard exercise in measure theory to show that for any ##f \in L^1[0,1]##, the antiderivative ##\int_{[0,x]} f## is absolutely continuous. This of course is just a part of Fundamental Theorem of Lebesgue integration.

What is the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and has an antiderivative F(x), then the definite integral of that function from a to b is equal to the difference between F(b) and F(a).

What is the difference between the First and Second Fundamental Theorems of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus deals with finding the definite integral of a function, while the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus deals with finding the derivative of the definite integral of a function.

How do you use the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to solve problems?

To use the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, you need to find the antiderivative of the given function, evaluate it at the upper and lower limits of the definite integral, and then subtract the lower limit value from the upper limit value to get the final answer.

Can the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be applied to all continuous functions?

Yes, the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can be applied to all continuous functions on a closed interval [a,b]. However, the function must have an antiderivative in order for the theorem to be applicable.

What are some real-world applications of the First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The First Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change. It is also used in optimization problems and in the analysis of motion and growth.