1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Law of Thermodynamics - Isobaric Cooling

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An ideal monatomic gas has an initial pressure of 3 atm, an initial volume of 1 L, and is at an initial temperature of 90 degrees Celsius. It first expands isothermically to 2 L and is then cooled isobarically to a point where it is adiabatically compressed to its initial state. Calculate the total work done.

2. Relevant equations
    w2→3=∫PdV=P(V2-V1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright. I think I pretty much know what to do, but I am still a little confused. So, I've found the work done after the transition from state 1 to state 2. From there, can I calculate the new pressure at state 2 with P1V1=P2V2? And then, once I have my second pressure, this will be the pressure I use in my integral above. However, I do not know the volume the gas will be after the transition to the third state, which is what I need to find the value of the integral, correct? Or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2
    "....where it is adiabatically compressed to its initial state."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook