First Law of Thermodynamics - Isobaric Cooling

In summary, the problem involves an ideal monatomic gas with initial conditions of 3 atm pressure, 1 L volume, and 90 degrees Celsius temperature. The gas undergoes an isothermal expansion to 2 L, followed by an isobaric cooling, and finally an adiabatic compression back to its initial state. The total work done can be calculated using the equation w2→3=∫PdV=P(V2-V1), where the pressure and volume at each state can be found using P1V1=P2V2. However, the volume at the third state is unknown and needs to be calculated in order to find the value of the integral.
chromium1387

Homework Statement

An ideal monatomic gas has an initial pressure of 3 atm, an initial volume of 1 L, and is at an initial temperature of 90 degrees Celsius. It first expands isothermically to 2 L and is then cooled isobarically to a point where it is adiabatically compressed to its initial state. Calculate the total work done.

Homework Equations

w2→3=∫PdV=P(V2-V1

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright. I think I pretty much know what to do, but I am still a little confused. So, I've found the work done after the transition from state 1 to state 2. From there, can I calculate the new pressure at state 2 with P1V1=P2V2? And then, once I have my second pressure, this will be the pressure I use in my integral above. However, I do not know the volume the gas will be after the transition to the third state, which is what I need to find the value of the integral, correct? Or am I missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
"...where it is adiabatically compressed to its initial state."

What is the First Law of Thermodynamics?

The First Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

What is Isobaric Cooling?

Isobaric Cooling is a process in thermodynamics where the pressure of a system remains constant while the volume decreases, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

How does the First Law of Thermodynamics apply to Isobaric Cooling?

The First Law of Thermodynamics applies to Isobaric Cooling as it states that the energy of the system must remain constant. In the case of Isobaric Cooling, the energy is transferred from the system to the surrounding environment in the form of heat, resulting in a decrease in temperature.

What are some real-life examples of Isobaric Cooling?

Some real-life examples of Isobaric Cooling include the expansion of air in a bicycle pump as it is compressed, resulting in a decrease in temperature, and the cooling of a can of compressed air as it is sprayed, due to the expansion of the gas inside.

How is Isobaric Cooling different from Adiabatic Cooling?

Isobaric Cooling and Adiabatic Cooling are both processes in thermodynamics that result in a decrease in temperature, but they differ in the way heat is transferred. Isobaric Cooling occurs at a constant pressure, while Adiabatic Cooling occurs without any heat exchange with the surroundings.