1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: First Order Differential Equation

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution for: x y' - 2y = x +1 (x>0)

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have literally no idea how to start this. I've tried seperating variables but ended up with:

[tex]\frac{y'-1}{2y+1}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{x}[/tex] but that isn't solvable due to the y'-1 (at least I don't know how if it is). Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: Ok, so I've used integrating factors. If you take the integrating factor to be x-2 (i can show how if needed) and then use that, I find:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x^{-2}y) = x^{-2}+ x^{-3}[/tex] so the equation integrates to:

[tex] y = cx^{2}-x-\frac{1}{2}[/tex] does that seem about right? We have disagreement in our group :/

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

An integrating factor will work.

Rewrite the DE as y' - (2/x)y = 1 + 1/x

The integrating factor is
    [tex]e^{\int \frac{-2}{x}dx}[/tex]

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    Thanks! Just edited above the work I managed with that! Does that seem right?

Ok, rather than start a new thread (which I can do if it would be easier), I thought I'd put in the new question I have here:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i) Find the general solution for y'' + 2y' + 3y =0
    ii) Give the basis for the vector space of all solutions of this equation.
    iii) Describe the behaviour of all solutions as t tends to infinity
    iv) If this equation models a mass-spring system with no external force, state whether the motion is underdamped, critically damped or overdamped.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    i) Easy enough:
    y(t)=e-t(([tex]Ccos(\sqrt{2}t) + Dsin(\sqrt{2}t)[/tex]))
    ii) I don't really understand this question, but from what I can gather after brief research:
    Basis{(e-t[tex]cos\sqrt{2}t[/tex]),(e-t[tex]sin(\sqrt{2}t)[/tex]))}. Can someone explain this question please?
    iii) as t tends to infinity, y(t) tends to 0, due to the exponential decay.
    iv) I'm not really sure here. All my notes on mass-spring systems don't really cover differential solutions when I haven't worked from a frequency point-of-view. I think it shows an underdamped system.

Are those about right?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  5. Jun 1, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's the basis. The solution space is a vector (or function) space that is spanned by those two functions. Every solution of the given DE is a linear combination of those two functions.
    Yes. For iv, over-, under-, and critically damped relate directly to the discriminant in the solution of the characteristic equation (which in this case is r2 + 2r + 3 = 0).

The discriminant D is b4 - 4ac. If D < 0, the system is underdamped, since there is still a fair amount of oscillation. If D > 0, there is no oscillation, and the system is overdamped. If D = 0, the system is critically damped.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook