1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First-Order Linear Differential Equation

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y'=1+x+y+xy, y(0)=0

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+P(x)y=Q(x)
    [itex]\rho[/itex](x)=e[itex]\int(P(x)dx)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main problem is correctly getting it into the form, [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+P(x)y=Q(x). I know what to do from there.
    First, I tried y'-(y+xy)=1+x, where P(x)=1+x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\rho[/itex](x)=e[itex]\int(1+x)[/itex]=ex+x2/2.
    When i multiply both sides by [itex]\rho[/itex](x), i don't come out with anything that i can easily integrate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    Meaning, your P(x) is wrong.

Notice you wrote: y' - (y+xy) = 1+x.
    To understand what's P(x), you need to see what the coefficient of y is:
    y' -(1+x)y = 1+x.

What's the coefficient of y?

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    -(1+x) is the coefficient of y. I went back and corrected this but I am still ruining into a problem when integrating the right hand side of my function: (1+x)e-x-(x2/2)

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    I doubt this can be integrated. Maybe you can leave the final answer in an integral form?

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5
    Well, it's an initial value problem so I'm thinking there's something more to it. The textbook gives the answer as y(x)=-1+ex+x2/2

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

y' = 1 + x + y + xy
    y' = 1 + x + y(1+x)
    y' = (1+x)(1+y)
    dy/(1+y) = (1+x)dx

Integrate both sides etc. Don't forget arb. constant which is found by y(0) = 0.

Note: always try sep. of variables first.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #7
    Or do that :-)

9. Sep 1, 2011 #8
    Thanks for the help, guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook