Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: First-Order Linear Differential Equation

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    y'=1+x+y+xy, y(0)=0

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+P(x)y=Q(x)
    [itex]\rho[/itex](x)=e[itex]\int(P(x)dx)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My main problem is correctly getting it into the form, [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]+P(x)y=Q(x). I know what to do from there.
    First, I tried y'-(y+xy)=1+x, where P(x)=1+x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\rho[/itex](x)=e[itex]\int(1+x)[/itex]=ex+x2/2.
    When i multiply both sides by [itex]\rho[/itex](x), i don't come out with anything that i can easily integrate. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2011 #2
    Meaning, your P(x) is wrong.

Notice you wrote: y' - (y+xy) = 1+x.
    To understand what's P(x), you need to see what the coefficient of y is:
    y' -(1+x)y = 1+x.

What's the coefficient of y?

4. Sep 1, 2011 #3
    -(1+x) is the coefficient of y. I went back and corrected this but I am still ruining into a problem when integrating the right hand side of my function: (1+x)e-x-(x2/2)

5. Sep 1, 2011 #4
    I doubt this can be integrated. Maybe you can leave the final answer in an integral form?

6. Sep 1, 2011 #5
    Well, it's an initial value problem so I'm thinking there's something more to it. The textbook gives the answer as y(x)=-1+ex+x2/2

7. Sep 1, 2011 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

y' = 1 + x + y + xy
    y' = 1 + x + y(1+x)
    y' = (1+x)(1+y)
    dy/(1+y) = (1+x)dx

Integrate both sides etc. Don't forget arb. constant which is found by y(0) = 0.

Note: always try sep. of variables first.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #7
    Or do that :-)

9. Sep 1, 2011 #8
    Thanks for the help, guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook