First order O.D.E. with no analytic solution?

In summary: Always. Unless you're in a class where the teacher grades by how you think rather than if you get the right answer. Then perhapse you should show off a bit. Or if you're just doing math for fun and you don't care if the problem ever ends.(Notice that the general solution given in that thread is wrong; the person who posted it didn't add the homogeneous solution to the particular solution. That's a common mistake.)There's a good reason why I suggest this: generally, an equation which can be solved by an "elegant" method can also be solved by separation of variables, so you'll have to use this method at some point anyway. (Granted
Vuldoraq

Homework Statement

Does the following differential equation have a simple analytic solution?

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=y-\frac{2x}{y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would have said that there is no simple solution to this equation, I tried to find the integrating factor, which would just be [tex]-x[/tex] in this case, but i don't know what to do about the [tex]-\frac{2x}{y}[/tex] part? The standard formula's I have don't work.

Any hints and pointers would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
y-dy/dx = -2x/y multiply both sides by y

y2 - y*dy/dx = -2x

Try substituting v = y2

Okay,

[tex]y^{2}=v[/tex] gives,

[tex]y*\frac{dy}{dx}=2x+v[/tex] rearranging,

[tex]\int y dy=\int 2x dx +\int v dx[/tex] integrating,

[tex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}=x^{2}+vx+k[/tex]

Is that the right thing to do?

Final answer being,

[tex]\frac{y^{2}}{2}=x^{2}+y^{2}x+k[/tex]

No, you can't do that! v is a function of y which is itself a function of x: the integral of "v dx" is NOT vx because v is not a constant. If you are going to set v= y2 then completely replace y with v.

If v= y2 then dv/dx= 2y dy/dx so y dy/dx= (1/2)v dv/dx and the equation becomes (1/2)v dv/dx- v= 2x.

But, frankly, I don't see how that helps. Office Shredder, do you have more to say?

What Office_Shredder meant was to substitue v = y^2 everywhere that y occurs, which means that you will also need to replace dy with some expression involving dv. The resulting DE should have only x, dx, v, and dv in it.

Thanks guys, I didn't think you could do that with a differential equation, but it was the only way that the substitution could have helped. I think me it has no analytic soution.

Thanks again!

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = y - \frac{2x}{y}[/tex]

So multiplying through by y and re-arranging

[tex]y^2- y\frac{dy}{dx} = 2x[/tex]

If [tex]v=y^2[/tex]

Then [tex]dv/dx = 2y\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
We get

[tex]v -\frac{1}{2}\frac{dv}{dx} = 2x[/tex]

And this is good because when you have a polynomial of degree n on the RHS, you just guess v(x) = a generic polynomial of degree n (in this case 1).

[tex]v(x) = ax+b[/tex] Then

[tex]ax+b - \frac{1}{2}a = 2x[/tex]

Then a=2, b=1 by simple algebra

So [tex]y = \sqrt{2x+1}[/tex] (plus or minus). I plugged this in and got

[tex]y\frac{dy}{dx} = \sqrt{2x+1}\frac{2}{2\sqrt{2x+1}} = 1[/tex]

and

[tex]\sqrt{2x+1}^2 - 2x = 2x+1 -2x = 1[/tex]

So in fact the solution works

Ouch! I can't believe I made that silly mistake!

http://xkcd.com/208/"

Incidentally, even if your DE was correct

(1/2)v dv/dx- v= 2x

I'd still just go with v=ax+b and get v = [tex](1+\sqrt{5})x[/tex] which works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, I see. Now that makes a lot of sense. Sorry about that, I need to go back to my textbook. :redface:

In my worksheet it gave me four first order ode's and said one had no simple analytical solution, and that was the only one I couldn't see how to solve, so now I'm concerned. Does the following look okay to you?

[tex]y*\frac{dy}{dx}-y^{2}+2=0[/tex]

Using the substitution [tex]v=y^{2}[/tex] again gives,

[tex]\int\frac{1}{2v-4} dv=\int dx[/tex]

[tex]\ln{(2v-4)^{1/2}}=x+k[/tex]

[tex]\ln{(2y^{2}-4)}^{1/2}=x+k[/tex]

[tex]y=(\frac{k*e^{2x}+4}{2})^{1/2}[/tex]

The other two are trivial,

[tex]y\frac{dy}{dx}=y^{2}-2y[/tex] which gives,

[tex]y=2+Ce^{x}[/tex]

and,

[tex]y\frac{dy}{dx}=y^{2}-2x*y[/tex] which gives,

[tex]y=2*x+2+ke^{x}[/tex]
What do you think?

Also I should note that the general solution was required if it can be found. Sorry I should have said that sooner,

If you can find a general solution, just find the complementary solution of the homogeneous equation (which is easy) and add it to any particular solution. Contrary to whatever anyone may say about how it's more elegant to find the full set of solutions in one swoop through a clever integration, they're lying. Always

1. What is a first-order O.D.E. with no analytic solution?

A first-order O.D.E. (Ordinary Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. An analytic solution refers to a closed-form solution that can be expressed using basic mathematical operations. A first-order O.D.E. with no analytic solution means that there is no known mathematical expression that can be used to solve the equation.

2. Why are some first-order O.D.E.s unable to be solved analytically?

The complexity of the equation and the lack of known mathematical techniques to solve it are the main reasons why some first-order O.D.E.s cannot be solved analytically. These equations may also involve special functions or operations that do not have closed-form solutions.

3. How are first-order O.D.E.s with no analytic solution solved?

These equations can be solved using numerical methods, which involve approximating the solution using a series of calculations. Some common numerical methods for solving first-order O.D.E.s include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and the finite difference method.

4. Can a first-order O.D.E. with no analytic solution have a unique solution?

Yes, a first-order O.D.E. with no analytic solution can have a unique solution. Even though there is no closed-form solution, numerical methods can be used to find a specific solution for a given set of initial conditions.

5. Are there any applications of first-order O.D.E.s with no analytic solution?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of first-order O.D.E.s with no analytic solution. These equations are often used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model complex systems. Numerical methods allow us to approximate the solution and gain insights into the behavior of these systems.