1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order ODE, orthogonal trajectories

1. Jan 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known da
    ##\frac{x^{2}}{k^{2}} + \frac{y^{2}}{\frac{k^{4}}{4}} = 1## with k != 0
    this can be simplified to
    ##x^{2} + 4y^{2} = k^{2}##
    Find dy/dx implicitly, then find the new dy/dx if you want orthogonal trajectories to the ellipse. Lastly solve the differential equation and ifentify the orthogonal trajectories on the ellipse.

3. The attempt at a solution

##2x + 8y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0##

now I know that for it to be orthogonal you need -dx/dy, so rearranging for dy/dx would give

## \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-x}{4y} ##

and -dx/dy is

## \frac{-dx}{dy} = \frac{4y}{x} ##

but my question is wouldn't you be losing solutions for y=0 and x=0? How would you account for that in the solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

You are not necessarily losing those solutions. They are still there. For example, if ##-\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{4y}{x}##, then what does that mean when x = 0? Normally an ellipse (centered at the origin) might have a vertical tangent line as it crosses the x axis, how is that slope represented? What is perpendicular to that?

4. Jan 21, 2015 #3
    Yea I get what you mean, I solved the differential equation and got ## y = Cx^{4} ## and one of the questions is to draw four members of each family of curves, so it should be pretty simple with the ellipse, but then with the ## y = Cx^{4} ##, is it still possible for me to draw the solution through x=0?

5. Jan 21, 2015 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An obvious point is that taking C= 0 gives y= 0 as a solution- a horizontal line through (0, 0).

6. Jan 21, 2015 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have the wrong differential equation: the solutions of ##2x + 8y\frac{dy}{dx} = 0## just give you the ellipse itself, because when ##2x dx + 8y dy = 0## that means that the points ##(x,y)## and ##(x + dx, y + dy)## lie in the ellipse; in other words, ##(dx,dy)## lies in the tangent line to the ellipse.

You want your ##(dx,dy)## to be perpendicular to the tangent, not parallel to it. Thus, you want ##(dx,dy)## to point along the gradient of the function ##f = x^2 + 4 y^2##. Thus, you need
    ## dx = 2x \, dt, \;\; dy = 8y \, dt ##, so ##dy/dx = 4y/x.##

7. Jan 22, 2015 #6
    I did solve the differential equation for ## dy/dx = 4y/x ## it is ## y = Cx^{4} ##

8. Jan 22, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nowhere in your writeup in post #1 did you write that DE and that solution. I looked and looked, but could not find it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted