First Order ODE problem (ipod battery)

In summary: I see that you have already done that. I don't see anything wrong with your answer. I don't know why you say "I think this is wrong". I agree with you that the "second solution must be wrong". That's why I asked if you might have meant B^2 instead of B2. But now I see that you were right. You did have B2 and it looks like the answer is correct after all. I don't know why you say "you cannot have negative time". Why not? t=100-t^2 is a quadratic equation and has two solutions. (t^2- 100= 0 is a quadratic equation and has two solutions
Clef

Homework Statement

Cappy McGreenhorn is looking to buy a new MP3 player. His primary concern is the
battery life of the MP3 player. He has decided on either the aPod or the bPod. The
percentage of battery life A(t) (after t hours) for the aPod is governed by:

(100 - t2)dA/dt + 4tA = 0; with A(0) = 100:

The percentage of battery life B(t) (after t hours) for the bPod is governed by:
100dB/dt - B2 + 10000 = 0; with B(0) = 100 tanh(12):

(a) Which MP3 player should Cappy buy in order to get the longest playback time?
(b) What is the battery charge on the bPod at t = 6?
(c) When does the aPod hold a 50% battery charge?

Homework Equations

HINT: Do not use partial fractions to do the integration. Use the fact that:
d/dx(arctanh(x)) =1/(1 - x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out Apod to be (1/100) (100-t2)2
But I think this is wrong.
The second part I used separable vales and ended up with

B= 100tanh(1/100 (t + 12))
However, I know that my second solution must be wrong since you cannot have negative
time and when the battery = 0, my time will be -12 hours. :(

Is it possible to use integrating factors to do the first order ode problem for bpod?

Physics news on Phys.org
Also for my hours i got 10 and 12 hours respectively. But I am still unsure about the Bpod :'(

I have been trying to solve the Bpod but I can't seem to get it. That has to be the strangest initial condition I have ever seen. (For a textbook problem.) Obviously it is simply 100 because the tanh(12) is 1. (Assuming radians are being used.)

Thanks
Matt

Clef said:

Homework Statement

Cappy McGreenhorn is looking to buy a new MP3 player. His primary concern is the
battery life of the MP3 player. He has decided on either the aPod or the bPod. The
percentage of battery life A(t) (after t hours) for the aPod is governed by:

(100 - t2)dA/dt + 4tA = 0; with A(0) = 100
So dA/A= 4tdt/(100- t2). Let t= 100- t2 on the right and integrate

The percentage of battery life B(t) (after t hours) for the bPod is governed by:
100dB/dt - B2 + 10000 = 0; with B(0) = 100 tanh(12):
Is that "B2" supposed to be B2? If so the equation is not linear and you cannot find the "integrating factor".

100dB/(10000- B2)= -dt

(a) Which MP3 player should Cappy buy in order to get the longest playback time?
(b) What is the battery charge on the bPod at t = 6?
(c) When does the aPod hold a 50% battery charge?

Homework Equations

HINT: Do not use partial fractions to do the integration. Use the fact that:
d/dx(arctanh(x)) =1/(1 - x2)
Good hint! So that was B2. Let u= B/100 so that 10000- B2= 10000- 10000u2= 10000(1- u2) and du= 100dB. Your equation becomes (1/10000)du/(1- u^2)= -dt or du/(1- u^2)= -10000 dt. Did you miss the negative here? As the hint tells you that integrates to arctanh(u)= arctanh(B/100)= -10000t+ C.3 Now, at t=0, you have arctanh(tanh(12)= C or C= 12.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out Apod to be (1/100) (100-t2)2
But I think this is wrong.
The second part I used separable vales and ended up with

B= 100tanh(1/100 (t + 12))
However, I know that my second solution must be wrong since you cannot have negative
time and when the battery = 0, my time will be -12 hours. :(

Is it possible to use integrating factors to do the first order ode problem for bpod?

HallsofIvy said:
So dA/A= 4tdt/(100- t2). Let t= 100- t2 on the right and integrate

Let t=100-t^2? I tried doing this but I couldn't make sense of it... how would I integrate it?

Also, thanks so much for posting your help.

I meant, of course, "let u= 100- t2". Then du= -2t dt so t dt=-(1/2)du. The equation becomes dA/A= -2du/u. That should be easy to integrate.

1. What is a first order ODE problem?

A first order ODE (ordinary differential equation) problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the unknown function of a single variable, such as time, given its derivative. It is used to model various phenomena in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields.

2. How does the first order ODE relate to an iPod battery?

The first order ODE can be used to model the behavior of an iPod battery as it charges and discharges over time. By solving the ODE, we can predict how long the battery will last and how quickly it will charge based on its initial charge level and the rate at which it is being used.

3. What factors affect the solution of the first order ODE for an iPod battery?

The solution of the first order ODE for an iPod battery is affected by several factors, such as the initial charge level, the rate at which the battery is being used, the type and capacity of the battery, and any external factors like temperature or usage patterns.

4. Can the first order ODE be used to improve the battery life of an iPod?

Yes, by using the first order ODE to model the behavior of an iPod battery, we can analyze different charging and usage patterns to optimize the battery life. For example, we can determine the best charging frequency and duration to prolong the battery's lifespan.

5. How is the first order ODE solved for an iPod battery?

The first order ODE for an iPod battery can be solved using various numerical methods or analytical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or integrating factors. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the ODE and the available data.