1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First order separable differential equation

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

x[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = 4y

2. Relevant equations

I'm not sure if there is a specific equation for these type of problems. My professor just says to separate the two different variables and then integrate them with respect to x.

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{1}{4y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

∫[itex]\frac{1}{4y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] dx =∫[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] dx

left side:

∫[itex]\frac{1}{4y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] dx

u = y
    du = [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] dx

[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]∫[itex]\frac{1}{u}[/itex]du

ln(4y) + [itex]C_{y}[/itex]

right side:

∫[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex] dx

ln(x) + [itex]C_{x}[/itex]

ln(4y) = ln(x) + C

Do i have to continue or could I just stop here?

4y = [itex]e^{x}[/itex] * [itex]e^{c}[/itex]

y = [itex]\frac{e}{4}^{x}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{e}{4}^{c}[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Please don't use SIZE tags.
    This is never a good substitution, because all you're doing is switching to a different letter.

You should have ended up with (1/4)ln|y| on the left side.

You made the problem considerably harder than it is by not immediately moving the constant outside the integral, and by dragging dy/dx along.

∫1/(4y)dy = (1/4)∫dy/y
    You have another mistake above. When you exponentiate the right side, you get eln(x) + C = eln(x) * eC. That first factor can be greatly simplfied.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    Sorry, I didn't know that wasn't allowed.

I was kind of following the example my teacher did that was similar to this problem.

I remember my calc 2 teacher telling me the integral of 1/Ax is ln(Ax). So that's why I thought it was ln(4y). When I did u substitution I thought it was kind of strange how the 4 ends up back inside ln. I guess I heard him wrong

Yeah I know that e^ln(x) is just x i just copied it down incorrectly when i was posting it here.

So would it be,

(1/4)ln(y) = ln(x) +C

ln(y) = 4ln(x) +C

y = 4x +C

I don't think I exponentiated this correctly. If it were e^ln(4x) then it would be 4x.

Can e^4(lnx) be written as e^4 * e^ln(x)?

I don't think that's right either because e^(ln(x) +c) is e^ln(x) * e^c. I'm confused.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. Sep 13, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not that it isn't allowed - it's just not needed most of the time.
    Either your teacher told you something that's wrong or you misheard. You can check this formula by differentiating. d/dx(ln(Ax)) = 1/(Ax) * A = 1/x ≠ 1/(Ax)
    Above, it would be 4C, but that's just a different constant. Some people just write C' to indicate that it's different from C. For this problem C' = 4C.
    No, that's incorrect.

Starting from the equation before this one...

ln(y) = 4ln(x) + C'

eln(y) = e4ln(x) + C' = e4ln(x) * eC'
    => y = eC' * e4ln(x) = Aeln(x4) = Ax4

Note that eC' is just another constant, so call it A.

If you really want to keep track, A = eC' = e4C

Strictly speaking, there should be absolute values involved on both sides. The real formulas are
    $$ \int \frac{dy}{y} = ln|y| + C$$
    and
    $$ \int \frac{dx}{x} = ln|x| + C$$
    I'm not sure what you mean by e^4(lnx). Is this e^4 * ln(x) or e^(4ln(x))?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook