First post, Electrostatics Questions

In summary: Are they graded individually, or as a group ?In summary, the movement of a positive point charge near a neutral conducting sphere would depend on the attraction between the negative particles and the charge, but also the repulsion from the positive particles. The charge on sphere #2 after being connected to a positively charged glass rod would become positive due to the movement of negative particles towards the rod. The object suspended by a non-conducting thread would have a negative charge when repelled by a negatively charged glass rod, but the charge cannot be determined when attracted by the rod. When a positively charged ball is brought close to a neutral isolated conductor, which is then grounded, the conductor would have a negative charge if the ball is first removed and then the
123lt

Homework Statement

Options for answers: positive, negative, neutral, cannot tell
1) a positive point charge is brought near the outside surface of a neutral conducting sphere and released. The initial position of the point charge is on the on the positive x-axis and the sphere is centered on the origin. The point charge moves in the _______ x direction. (If the point charge does not move, select "Cannot tell".)
2) Two neutral metal spheres, #1 and #2, are mounted on insulating supports. They are connected by a wire. A positively charged glass rod is brought near sphere #1. The wire connecting the spheres is removed and the charged rod is then taken away. Now the charge on sphere #2 is _______ .
3) A negatively charged glass rod repels an object suspended by a non-conducting thread. The charge on the object is _______ .
4) A negatively charged glass rod attracts an object suspended by a non-conducting thread. The charge on the object is _______ .
5) A positively charged ball is brought close to a neutral isolated conductor. The conductor is then grounded, while the ball is kept close. If the ball is first taken away and then the ground connection is removed, the conductor has a _______ charge.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I think it is (negative) x directions because it would be attracted to the negative particles and move towards them
2) I think (positive) because the negative particles would move towards the glass rod through the wire and leave the positive particles behind
3) (negative) because negatives repel
4) (cannot tell) because it could be attracted to the positive particles of a neutral object or the object could be positively charged
5) (negative) because the positive particles would be repelled and move down into the Earth and would stay there because the ground connection is removed.

I'm not sure where I am going wrong here but I would love some help/insight! Thanks so much :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you might want to give your answer to 1 some more thought and see how that reflects on some of the other answers.

phinds said:
I think you might want to give your answer to 1 some more thought and see how that reflects on some of the other answers.
number one definitely gave me some trouble. I also thought it possible that it might not move at all, does that sound more likely? Thanks again.

123lt said:
number one definitely gave me some trouble. I also thought it possible that it might not move at all, does that sound more likely? Thanks again.
Well, think about it this way ... you have stated that it would be attracted by the negative particles. OK, fine. How about the positive particles?

phinds said:
Well, think about it this way ... you have stated that it would be attracted by the negative particles. OK, fine. How about the positive particles?
The positive particles would be repelled, but don't they move to the other side of the sphere? So the negative particles would be on the side close to the rod and the positive particles would stay out of the way on the other side, thus the rod and negative particles would attract each other. This is what I thought happened but I'm sensing that I'm missing something here in this logic.

123lt said:
The positive particles would be repelled, but don't they move to the other side of the sphere? So the negative particles would be on the side close to the rod and the positive particles would stay out of the way on the other side, thus the rod and negative particles would attract each other. This is what I thought happened but I'm sensing that I'm missing something here in this logic.
I'm pretty sure that your analysis is correct for #1.

Why do you assume in your Original Post that your answers are wrong? I think most are correct.

In #5, notice that the positive ball is removed before the ground connection is removed.

SammyS said:
I'm pretty sure that your analysis is correct for #1.

Why do you assume in your Original Post that your answers are wrong? I think most are correct.

In #5, notice that the positive ball is removed before the ground connection is removed.
It's an online assignment and when I submit these answers it's not accepted

123lt said:
It's an online assignment and when I submit these answers it's not accepted
Are they graded individually, or as a group ?

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of electric charges at rest and their interactions.

2. What are some real-life applications of electrostatics?

Some common real-life applications of electrostatics include the operation of electrical devices, such as capacitors and batteries, and the generation of lightning in thunderstorms.

3. How do electric charges interact with each other?

Electric charges interact through the fundamental force of electromagnetism. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other.

4. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely through them, while insulators are materials that do not allow charges to flow easily.

5. How can I calculate the electric force between two charged particles?

The electric force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.