Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First time I've called in sick since .

1. Mar 25, 2008 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

First time I've called in sick since.....

Yesterday was the first time I've called in sick since March 10, 1970 when I called off of school sick.

It's not exactly the first day of work I've ever missed. I missed a Friday to get a vasectomy, plus had to extend vacation once or twice because of some kind of crisis (flood, car trouble, etc), plus I've missed work to be in the delivery room when my kids were born, plus I've taken vacations ..... all things Cal Ripken never would have missed a game for!

Still, that's pretty significant. I just never get sick.

In this case, it was my son's fault. He had acute bronchitis bad enough he was coughing up blood and had to get medical treatment. I caught it from him. I didn't have it nearly as bad, but bad enough. I went home early on Friday because I felt so miserable and was over the worst by Sunday, but I was surprised how miserable I still felt yesterday morning.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad :frown: . Maybe you should see a doc...it's probably best to go before you start coughing up blood, IMO.

4. Mar 25, 2008 #3
    Wow, I'd still say you have it good. I've called in sick a lot. I mean, it was always because I was sick, so I guess I just get sick too often...

5. Mar 25, 2008 #4
    That's 48 years! Nice, well done. It sucks that you're sick though.

6. Mar 25, 2008 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

38 years.... unless I was so sick it's later than I think :surprised. And I'm over it and back at work with a cough that usually lasts longer than the worst symptoms.

I'm not much for doctors for something like this. Anti-biotics might reduce the symptoms by about half a day. (Bronchitis - Wikipedia; Bronchitis treatment - eMedicine

You can usually treat it by at least trying to get as much rest as possible and drinking a lot of water. Of course, catching this the last week of the quarter in a class that was basically a two-quarter class project made the rest part of it kind of tough, which is why I probably got it as bad as I did. Our final presentation was coming up and our project still didn't actually work, so getting a lot of rest wasn't really all that viable.

7. Mar 25, 2008 #6
    I read 1960. :rofl:

8. Mar 25, 2008 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Feel better, Bob. When do you finish school?

9. Mar 25, 2008 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I graduate end of June.

10. Mar 25, 2008 #9

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Bob, Sorry to hear you're ill.

If the bronchitis is due to a bacterium (e.g. pneumococcus) or mycoplasma (e.g. M. pneumoniae) then an antibiotic would work. If the bronchitis is caused by a virus, then an antibiotic won't resolve it, but only prevent a secondary (bacterial) infection.

Hope you feel better.

11. Mar 25, 2008 #10
    Ive been put in the hospital 2 times in my life for acute bronchitis, so I know its nothing to mess with. Hope your feeling better very soon.

12. Mar 25, 2008 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wonderful! My commencement is in mid-June. Bill Clinton is our keynote speaker, so thank goodness my grandmother decided not to come. She'd throw tomatoes at him. :rofl:

13. Mar 25, 2008 #12

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I usually get a seasonal cold every year but that's usually about it. I thought I was particularly immune from sicknesses!

Get well soon, Bob.

14. Mar 25, 2008 #13
    Indeed get well soon. I lost my last job due to sickness absence, it was all Dr approved, but I spent to much time off sick. And such as such sickness is unavoidable, you get punished for it. Such is the workplace.

I've had bronchitis before and still turned up to work, it was a desk job though. When I had asthma in my latest job it was not and it was very physical; Dr's actually said to me that I was not in the right job given my asthma. Way it goes, if you're not suited to a job best you get laid off and find a more suitable one.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  15. Mar 25, 2008 #14

Astronuc

Don't forget your Obama/Richardson sign! :biggrin:

16. Mar 25, 2008 #15

Astronuc

I did that last year and the bronchitis developed into walking pneumonia. It's a good idea to take 2-3 days off and recover.

Companies usually allocate 10 days or two weeks for sick time. Any longer, and companies worry about cost.

17. Mar 25, 2008 #16
    Sadly asthma that is seasonally induced, ie only when its cold, does not work to a drum beat, thus having 5 years of seasonally induced asthmas, lead me to be laid off. No hard feelings to my employer, really it just wasn't the right job as it was very physical and particularly when it was cold, worked in a hospital. Way it works, don't really hold it against them, wrong man in the wrong job.

Seems annoying that I only get it for the winter months, when it is cold, and that it has been so warm here recently that I haven't even needed an inhaler, but that's just bad luck. :smile:

It really is for only 3 months of the year even at the worst of times, I am thankfully immune from it outside of winter; can't complain; It's horrible and I feel for people who have to put up with it all year round.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  18. Mar 25, 2008 #17

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

LOL :rofl:

19. Mar 25, 2008 #18

Astronuc

Even better - ask Bill to autograph it!

And have someone take his picture when you ask. :rofl:

20. Mar 25, 2008 #19

Astronuc

I had chronic asthma and bronchitis as a child, which usually put me in hospital in an oxygen tent for several days. At time breathing was painful (imagine each lung with a knife stuck through it - with every breath). The doctors thought I had CF, and some doctor apparently told my parents that I probably would not live past 10-11 yrs of age. Needless to say, I developed a high tolerance of pain in order to survive.

I was finally tested by an expert who determined my asthma was primarily caused by allergies, and I underwent a program (several years) of allergy shots and inhalation therapy. I was pretty much over the asthma by the time I turned 13, and then I was able to participate in sports year round.

21. Mar 25, 2008 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry to hear that. Eat chicken soup, wear garlic around your neck, rub down with goose grease, engage in aural and aroma therapy, eat Echinacea, pass a few doses of Almighty Cleanse, drink herbal tea, and pray for forgiveness. You should be better in a few days.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?