Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First variation

1. Sep 30, 2007 #1
    I put this question in the 'Calculus' forum but didn't really get a response. Maybe it's a silly question but I thought I'd try here anyway:

Older textbooks on the Calculus of Variations seem to define the first variation of a functional [tex] \Pi [/tex] as:

[tex] \delta \Pi = \Pi(f + \delta f) - \Pi (f) [/tex]

which looks analogous to:

[tex] \delta f = \frac {df} {dx} \delta x = lim_{\delta x \rightarrow 0} (f(x+ \delta x) -f(x)) [/tex]

from differential calculus. However, newer books seem to define the first variation as the Gateaux derivative:

[tex] \left[ \frac {d} {d \epsilon} \Pi (f+ \epsilon h) \right]_{\epsilon = 0 } [/tex]

which looks more like the gradient [tex]\frac {df} {dx} [/tex] than the difference [tex]\delta x [/tex]. Which is the better 'basic' definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2007 #2
    If you know vector calculus, of course you should go on with Gateaux derivative.

4. Sep 30, 2007 #3
    I've never seen anyone call the first one called the first variation. Everyone calls the Gateaux derivative the first variation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?