Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First World Problems

1. Oct 25, 2014 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a thread about silly problems. You know these things are silly, but they still bug you.

For example:

I hate it when I pull a tissue out of a box, and it doesn't pull up the next tissue. I have to go fishing for the next one, and inevitably I end up pulling out a clump of several tissues.

What silly things bug you?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2
    I hate it when I type up a long post on a forum, hit backspace to delete a letter, and it goes back a page instead. Then when I go forward, everything I typed up is gone.

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate it when someone doesn't open a box the way it was designed to be opened. Must be an engineer somewhere crying.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  5. Oct 25, 2014 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The piece of floss breaks before I'm finished.

6. Oct 25, 2014 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The gas pump demands I answer the question 'Do you have Air Miles' before it will let me pump gas.

7. Oct 25, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For a long post, one can use a text file like TextPad or WordPad, or just do ctrl+A, the ctrl+C to copy the entire post just in case. I too have been frustrated by stupid browsers that take the backspace as Alt+left or previous window.

8. Oct 26, 2014 #7
    Now that my fingers are getting older I hate just about everything that comes in a clear plastic package. The newer plastics are just about impervious to human fingers. I had to get a knife and fight like heck to get the plastic top off of a pumpkin pie today.

9. Oct 26, 2014 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That runs a strong second for me. It's not the newer plastics. It's because no design engineering was involved.

10. Oct 26, 2014 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I hate it when you can't find the droids you're looking for.

But really, I can't stand it when my the touchscreen on a phone or computer has slight lag.

11. Oct 26, 2014 #10
    Was looking for something in the drawers, sitting behind the computer and when I couldn't find it, I tapped Ctrl+F on the keyboard :D (still didn't find it though :( )

12. Oct 26, 2014 #11

Danger

Gold Member

As of returning to PF to find this new format wherein I don't know how to do anything, the main thing that's irritating the hell out of me is that it keeps autocorrecting my words into something that I don't want. That's cutting my typing speed by half or worse. There must be some way to shut that off, but I don't know what it is. Also, I never did know how to multi-quote using the button. To do so, I would respond to one person with a quote, copy it, delete the draft text, respond to another quote and paste the whole first thing into it, and repeat the process as necessary. That doesn't work now. (Well, it sort of does, but the prior one comes up with just an arrow above the quoted section and no mention of who said it. I have to manually insert "{QUOTE}" and "{/QUOTE}" (using the square brackets, of course) to make it appear as a quote, and there's no way I'm going to take the time to type in the guy's handle and those numbers every time.
    There are lots of other things not related to PF that get under my skin, but I figured that this was as good a time as any to bring those up.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  13. Oct 26, 2014 #12

DaveC426913

Gold Member

1. Click the quote button on a post you want to quote.
    2. Repeat step 1 at will.
    3. At the bottom of the page will be an edit window for your response. Click 'Insert Quotes'.
    4. A popup will show your quotes. Click 'Insert these quotes'.
    5. Edit your post with gay abandon.

14. Oct 26, 2014 #13

Danger

Gold Member

I don't roll that way; I'll edit it with straight abandon if it's all the same to you.:p
    (And of course the smilie I needed turned out to be pink... :rolleyes:)
    Thanks for the info, Dave. I'll give it a try the next time I have do multiple quotes.

15. Oct 26, 2014 #14

Ryan_m_b

Slow/poor internet connection, especially on my phone. I've had a smartphone for so long now that it's a pseudo-disability to not have it. I'm so used to looking up things the moment I wonder about them, getting directions, chatting with friends and checking up on my most used websites.

I firmly hope to one day be an old man who bores his grandchildren with stories of the dark ages where not only did terabit bandwidth not exist but you would regularly lose signal just walking down the road. Let alone going underground or travelling to the country side. I hope and expect they'll look at me with the same lack of understanding as I do to anyone describing a world before phones and computers.

16. Oct 26, 2014 #15
    Oh, this is so first world:
    My HDTV tuner has somehow decided to always start on channel 12, when I usually want it to start on channel 1. So I always have to press "back" 12 steps or "dial" 12, very annoying. I can program a computer, by haven't felt inclined to fix this minor thing for a long time now. That's it, I'm gonna do it right now!

EDIT: Two more annoying First World problems:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm4.staticflickr.com%2F3948%2F15441143668_d9b21f62a2_n.jpg nero_writing_12X_TY_Writing_Error.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  17. Oct 26, 2014 #16

wolram

Gold Member

I hate it when there is just a few sheets of toilet tissue left and no one has thought to leave a spare.

18. Oct 26, 2014 #17

mfb

2016 Award

Software that asks the same question every time it is used, without an option to disable it.

"An update is available! Do you want to update to the newest version which is known to have a bug that completely ruins what you want to do?"

19. Oct 26, 2014 #18
    Oh yes...
    + small, barely readable print saying:

20. Oct 26, 2014 #19

Danger

Gold Member

Don't worry about it. If you're that immersed in your tech gadgets, you'll probably never have a chance to reproduce, let alone have grandchildren.

No-brainer there. It looks as if you're labouring away with a Windows-burner. Wise up, get a Mac, and relax.

Dave! I just tried that multi-quote thing the way that you said and it's great! Thanks!

21. Oct 26, 2014 #20
    Now look what you made me do :L, a mac attack:

15633979941_2e7d88cc57.jpg

15637467522_5bd7cebfb8_n.jpg

15450025129_019023e2d3.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted