1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools First Year, College or University. Also a question about if Chemistry is needed

  1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    I am planning to become a physicist. But here is my question. Next year I will be heading to a post-secondary institution; however, I am unable to decide whether I should go to a college or university.

    Here are some problems

    1. Money isn't a BIG concern, but it's always good to save up. Actually money is not a concern at all...

    2. Are classes bigger in an University than in College, in terms of # of students per class

    3. Is it actually difficult to transfer from another University to another University? Would it be easier to transfer from a college to a University?

    4. This is probably a dumb question, but what are the chances of a student in studying in a community college that has a chance to go an Ivy League or any rich universities for his Ph.D?

    Other question

    1. OKay, so as I said before, I wanted to become a Physicist. However, I want to know how many years or what degree of Chemistry must I have to become one. I am taking AP chemistry right now because it is recommanded, but seriously, do I need Chemistry?

    Also, I forgot to mention that I am taking the AP Exams in May
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    i'm a little confused by your discrimination between "college" and "university". i know it is somewhat different abroad, but in the US the terms are by and large interchangeable. typically if there is a difference it is that the university is the whole institution, and the colleges are the departments that make it up.

    class size varies from school to school. small, private schools will ALWAYS quote average class size and professor-to-student ratio in their advertising material. class size isn't important in my opinion. by the time you get to upper-level courses your classes will be small no matter where you go.

    you really have to go to an accredited university if you want to be admitted to a good graduate department. this doesnt mean you have to pay a lot of money, though. large public universities often have very strong natural science and math departments because of the resources available at the school.

    you will probably have to take at least some chemistry before you graduate college. when you think about it, chemistry is just applied physics, so there is some relevancy. in terms of basic requirements, though, it might just be general chemistry 1 and 2
  4. Nov 12, 2009 #3
    I am Canadian
  5. Nov 12, 2009 #4
    oh well then yes, i would advise going to a university if it can be helped. listen to someone from canada, though, not me
  6. Nov 13, 2009 #5


    User Avatar

    What? So why mention it? You do have a delete key on your keyboard...

    The chance will be very low if said student can't form proper sentences..

    I don't mean to be rude, but after reading this post I got the impression that you have no idea what you want to do, or why.
  7. Nov 13, 2009 #6
    Sorry, I didn't realize I had to type with perfect grammar, spelling, and use complicated words that contains at least 18 letters just to explain my situation. I typed it up in like less than 3 minutes. So thank you for your criticism.
  8. Nov 13, 2009 #7
    I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but I transferred from a junior college (community college) to a university in Texas, and then from the university in Texas to a university in California. The only problem you run into is loosing credit for classes. Some schools have different guidelines for what information has to be in a course.

    I would recommend talking to the school you plan to get your degree from and find out what community colleges they accept course credit from.
  9. Nov 13, 2009 #8
    Also, from what I've seen, most schools want one year of chemistry for a physics degree. But that will change from school to school.
  10. Nov 13, 2009 #9
    I am taking AP Chemistry, so that's all good...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: First Year, College or University. Also a question about if Chemistry is needed
  1. First year in college (Replies: 22)