First Year Physics help regarding waves

In summary, the properties of a simple harmonic oscillator are affected by doubling the amplitude as follows: i) frequency is not affected, ii) total mechanical energy is increased by a factor of four, and iii) maximum acceleration is doubled.For part b), the FM radio station emits 2.27*10^3 photons per second at a frequency of 99.7 MHz. For part c), the momentum of the electron is 1.05*10^-24 kg.m/s and the momentum of the photon is 3.31*10^-28 kg.m/s. The energy of the electron is 6.21*10^-18 eV and the energy of the photon is 0.06 eV.For
Lochie101
Trying to study for my physics exam and am a bit stuck with this question. hopefully someone can help me out:

1) a) State, with reasons, how the following properties of a simple harmonic oscillator are affected by doubling the amplitude:

i) Frequency:
ii) total mechanical energy, and
iii) Maximum acceleration.

b) An FM radio station has a power output of 150KW at a frequency of 99.7 MHz. How many photons per second does the transmitter emit?

c) An electron and a photon each have a wavelength of 0.2nm. what is the momentum (in kg.m/s) of the:
i) electron, and
ii) photon?

what is the energy (in eV) of the:
iii) electron, and
iv) the photon?

d) i) What maximum light wavelength will excite an electron in the valence band of diamond? The energy gap for diamond is 5.50 eV.

ii) in which part of the electronmagnetic spectrum does this wavelength lie?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any equations that may help you? If you share what you know and what you've tried, you're more likely to get help.

I know that frequency is not affected, unsure about total mechanical energy and maximum frequency.

I have also calculated b) to be 2.27*10^3 photons, but have no idea how to do the rest??

1. What are the different types of waves in physics?

There are three main types of waves in physics: mechanical, electromagnetic, and matter waves. Mechanical waves require a medium to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Matter waves, also known as quantum waves, describe the behavior of particles at a subatomic level.

2. How do you calculate the speed of a wave?

The speed of a wave can be calculated by dividing the distance the wave travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the wave speed equation: v = d/t. The speed of a wave is also influenced by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, such as density and elasticity.

3. What is the difference between amplitude and wavelength?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a wave from its equilibrium position, while wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave that are in phase with each other. In other words, amplitude measures the size of the wave, while wavelength measures the distance between two identical parts of the wave.

4. How does frequency affect the properties of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is directly proportional to its energy and inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as frequency increases, the energy of the wave increases and the wavelength decreases. Higher frequency waves also have a shorter period, or the time it takes for one complete wave cycle.

5. What is wave interference?

Wave interference is the phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet at the same point in space. Depending on the phase relationship between the waves, they can either add together and create a larger wave (constructive interference) or cancel each other out (destructive interference). This is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of waves.