Wave Particle Duality For Electrons and Photons

In summary: So its basically that as the photon has more energy it scatters more widely then a lower energy photon due to the equation ##E_{photon}=hc/\lambda##. What this basically means is that as the photon emits energy it becomes more spread out and can be seen as a particle.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Discuss the concept of the wave-particle duality for electrons and photons and include an equation which connects the wave like and particle like properties.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I am having trouble with how to word this question and generally getting my self in a muddle with things. Here what I have so far on the topic

Wave-Particular duality of electron: As and electron is assumed to be a particle when a stream of electrons is aimed at two slits the electron creates a interference pattern of high and low intensities which as shining light though the two slits the same same pattern is produce thus concluding the wave nature of the electron.

Wave-Particle Duality of A Photon: As light is assume to be a wave, when light is shined upon a metal with high enough frequency, it will allow electron to escape from that metal, the only way this is possible is if the light be shone on to the metal come in form of discrete packets of energy know as a photon ( a elementary particle of light), as the photon collides in a elastic collision with the electron the energy of the photon given by ##E_{photon}=hf## is transferred to the electron to give the electron enough K.E to escape.

This is the part that really confuse me and think some of the confusion has to do with the history.

But can't wave particle duality be seen in one with Compton scattering? What I mean is that Compton used the equation ##E_{photon}=hc/ \lambda## to calculate a given wave length for his x-rays and measure the the scattered wavelength with the respect to the scattering angle and showed that by comparing the results with the ##E_{photon}## he verified the particle nature of light but surely as this x-ray is being diffracted at some angle is this not equally showing the wave nature of light as well?

I assume that equation it is referring to is the De Brogile relationship as he was the first person to think if a photon show the particle/wave maybe electron, proptons and matter dose too.

so then the given equation would be

$$\lambda=h/p=h/m_ev$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a pretty good start. A couple of misspellings. Its not the easiest concept to grasp. You might get something from this SixtySymbols video on YouTube:

Last edited:
Ah thank you I have just watch the video, much appreciated.

1. What is wave-particle duality?

Wave-particle duality is the principle that states that particles, such as electrons and photons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that they can behave as both a discrete particle and a continuous wave at the same time.

2. How does wave-particle duality apply to electrons and photons?

In the quantum world, electrons and photons can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This means that they can travel as a wave, with a certain wavelength and frequency, and also behave as a particle with a definite position and momentum.

3. What evidence supports the concept of wave-particle duality?

One of the main pieces of evidence for wave-particle duality is the double-slit experiment. This experiment showed that particles, when passed through two slits, can create an interference pattern just like waves do. This indicates that they have wave-like properties.

4. How does the wave-particle duality of electrons and photons affect the behavior of light and matter?

The wave-particle duality of electrons and photons has a significant impact on the behavior of light and matter. It allows us to understand and explain phenomena such as diffraction, interference, and the photoelectric effect. It also forms the basis of quantum mechanics, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. Is the wave-particle duality of electrons and photons a proven concept?

Yes, the wave-particle duality of electrons and photons is a well-established concept in physics. It has been extensively tested and confirmed through numerous experiments, and it is a fundamental principle in the field of quantum mechanics.