1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fitting a Function given 3 points

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using a simple "trick," you can find a polynomial function whose graphi goes through any given set of points. For example, the graph of the following function goes through the points (1, 3), (2, 5), and (3, -1).

[tex]f(x) = 3\;\frac{(x-2)(x-3)}{(1-2)(1-3)} \;+\; 5\frac{(x-1)(x-3)}{(2-1)(2-3)} \;+\;(-1) \frac{(x-1)(x-2)}{(3-1)(3-2)}[/tex]

Find a polynomial function g that satisfies g(-2) = 1, g(0) = 3, g(1) = -2 and g(4) = 3

2. Relevant equations

(Above)

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]g(x) = (1)\frac{(x-1)(x-4)}{(-2-1)(-2-4)} \; + \;(-2)\frac{(x+2)(x-4)}{(1+2)(1-4)} \;+ \;3\frac{(x+2)(x-1)}{(4+1)(4-1)}[/tex]

I cannot figure out how to produce g(0) = 3.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why are you making your polynomial a quadratic? Perhaps it should be something else -- like a cubic.

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    Hint: each "term" should have more factors in parenthesis

5. May 17, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As both DH and Chaz say, you need four terms, not three, and you need three factors in numerator and denominator of each term.

A polynomial passing through f(a)= t, f(b)= u, f(c)= v, and f(d)= w must look like
    [tex]t\frac{(x- b)(x- c)(x- d)}{(a- b)(a- c)(a- d)}+[/tex][tex] u\frac{(x- a)(x- c)(x- d)}{(b- a)(b- c)(b- d)}+[/tex][tex] v\frac{(x- a)(x- b)(x- d)}{(c- a)(c- b)(c- d)}[/tex][tex]+ w\frac{(x- a)(x- b)(x- c)}{(d- a)(d- b)(d- c)}[/tex]

Look at what happens at, say, x= c. Every fraction except the third has a factor of x- c in the numerator and so will be 0 at x= c. The third fraction will have, at x= c, (c- a)(c- b)(c- d) in both numerator and denominator and so will be 1. The entire polynomal will be f(c)= 0+ 0+ v(1)+ 0= v.

This is the "Lagrange interpolation formula"- to write a polynomial that passes through n given points, you need a sum of n fractions, each having n-1 factors in numerator and denominator.

6. May 19, 2010 #5
    I have never heard of this formula, but it is so clever! I love it :smile:

As for helping OP, all I can say is, look for the pattern, and, once you've got it, be meticulous in your bookkeeping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook