1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fixed points on compact spaces

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a compact metric space. if f:X-->X is continous and d(f(x),f(y))<d(x,y) for all x,y in X, prove f has a fixed point.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume f does not have a fixed point. By I problem I proved before if f is continous with no fixed point then there exists an epsilon>0 st d(f(x),x)>=epsilon for all x in X. Using this I wanted to get a contradiction. i wanted to prove d(f(x),f(y))>=d(x,y) which leads to a contradiction of
    d(f(x),f(y))<d(x,y) but I got stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Hi l888l888l888! :smile:

Try to use that the function

[tex]\Phi:X\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow d(x,f(x))[/tex]

is continuous. What can you infer about this function using that X is compact?

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3
    you can infer that it attains its bounds on X. ?

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Indeed, so you can deduce that there is an a such that d(f(a),a) is the minimum value. Either this minimum value is 0, and then we got a fixpoint. If the minimum value is not 0, then we must obtain a contradiction, can you find one?? (Use that [itex]d(f(x),f(y))<d(x,y)[/itex])

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5
    ummmmm nothin comes to mind at this time...??? if o is not the min value then d(f(a),a)>0 and we must come up with a contradiction that contradicts d(f(x),f(a))<d(x,a)??????

7. Jul 18, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is d(f(f(a)),f(a))?

8. Jul 18, 2011 #7
    d(f(f(a)),f(a))<d(f(a),a). but then this contradicts the fact that d(f(a),a) is a min value?

9. Jul 18, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes!

10. Jul 18, 2011 #9
    Great. thanks!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook