Flatlanders in the 3rd dimension "Hyperspace"

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the 4th dimension and how it is depicted in the book "Hyperspace" by Machio Kaku. Kaku uses the idea of "flatlanders" to illustrate how 3-dimensional beings, like humans, could potentially interact with the 4th dimension. The conversation also touches on the controversy surrounding Kaku's credibility as a scientist turned popularizer. In summary, the conversation raises questions about the nature of dimensions and our ability to observe and understand them.
ChrisisC
Is the 4th dimension right under our noses?
In the book "Hyperspace" written by Machio Kaku (fantastic book, check it out), Kaku uses what he calls "flatlanders" to depict how, us, 3 dimensional people, could actually be involved in the 4th SPACIAL dimension (4th dimension is not used in the sense of "time" but space in this scenario). Kaku says that 2 dimensional flatlanders like on a line, to these flatlanders, they can only move Up,down,forward and backward, just like humans can only move up,down, forward, backward, and side to side. But Kaku says that a flatlander sciemctists studies this line and realizes that it's actually 3 dimensional. The people of flatland couldn't tell
they were on a 3 dimensional shape because the width of the line was just too small to
observe, so bringing that into real life... Are we humans those flatlanders? Could the 4th dimension be too small to observe directly? what are your thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
ChrisisC said:
Kaku says that 2 dimensional flatlanders like on a line,

I'm not sure what this means. Can you elaborate?

ChrisisC said:
Kaku says that 2 dimensional flatlanders like on a line
Traditionally a "flatlander" lives on a plane or, if one is trying to introduce curved geometry, a sphere. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphereland. A very good read.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
I'm not sure what this means. Can you elaborate?

In Kakus scenario, Flatlander people live on a line. Which is 2 dimensional.

ChrisisC said:
In Kakus scenario, Flatlander people live on a line. Which is 2 dimensional.

You sure you don't mean a plane? A line is 1d while a plane is 2d.

I'm reading his book "Hyperspace" which was written in the 1990's... It seems to make a ton of sense and the way he uses analogies to help the reader understand is quite fascinating, when particularly did he begin to stray away from his professionalism?

Drakkith said:
You sure you don't mean a plane? A line is 1d while a plane is 2d.
Oops! I apologize I thought that a point like particle was 1 dimenstional, and then a like was 2. But a point like particle would be 0 dimensional? i don't understand how something could be 0 dimensional?

ChrisisC said:
Oops! I apologize I thought that a point like particle was 1 dimenstional, and then a like was 2. But a point like particle would be 0 dimensional? i don't understand how something could be 0 dimensional?
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be on a particular plane: 2
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be on a particular line: 1
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be at a particular point: 0

The "dimension" of a space is [roughly translating the concept from linear algebra] the number of coordinate values it takes to define a position within that space.

jbriggs444 said:
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be on a particular plane: 2
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be on a particular line: 1
How many coordinate values does it take to describe the position of something already known to be at a particular point: 0

The "dimension" of a space is [roughly translating the concept from linear algebra] the number of coordinate values it takes to define a position within that space.
Thanks for putting this in simpler terms! I'm trying to gather as much knowledge as possible

ChrisisC said:
I'm reading his book "Hyperspace" which was written in the 1990's... It seems to make a ton of sense and the way he uses analogies to help the reader understand is quite fascinating, when particularly did he begin to stray away from his professionalism?
At least 10 years ago, probably more.

And he "strayed away from his professionalism" only in the sense that he CHANGED professions. He used to be a professional scientist, now he's a professional gadfly and I'm sure he gets paid much better now.

Likes Evo

What is a Flatlander?

A Flatlander is a hypothetical being who lives in a two-dimensional world. They have no concept of height or depth, and can only move in two directions.

What is the 3rd dimension?

The 3rd dimension is the concept of depth, or the ability to move in a direction perpendicular to the two dimensions of length and width.

What is Hyperspace?

Hyperspace is a theoretical concept in physics that suggests the existence of additional dimensions beyond the three we are familiar with. It is often used in science fiction to explain faster-than-light travel.

How do Flatlanders experience the 3rd dimension?

Flatlanders are unable to experience the 3rd dimension as they are confined to their two-dimensional world. They have no concept of depth or the ability to move in that direction.

Can Flatlanders exist in Hyperspace?

It is unclear if Flatlanders could exist in Hyperspace as they are a theoretical concept and have not been observed in our three-dimensional world. However, it is possible that in a higher dimensional universe, beings similar to Flatlanders could exist in a lower dimension.