Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flies in the library, big ones. Ideas?

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    My college library has them and it's very annoying since the librarians are way too lazy to clean the keyboards.

I will not clean them myself because there are over 400 computers here and I am surrounded by people who eat in the library (unfortunately including myself, but I clean up).

Is there anything I could bring and wear that would fend off those giant fruit flies?

I could complain to the librarian, but he would just give me the response "okay, thank for you complaint. Sign a form blah blah blah we don't care"

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2
    wear a large sombrero. wrap flytape around the top and dab a few specks of banana on the tape to attract the fruit flies. or a beekeeper hat.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    That sounds tedious...and I would catch so much attention.

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I've had it with these m******g flies in this m******g library!!!!

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Fire the "laser"!

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

laser.

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    If that's how bad it is just start smoking in the library when your at a computer I'm sure if they allow food to be eaten at the computers they will let you smoke :)

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8
    Get one of those laser pointers that can pop a balloon, light a match. That's sure to cause some damage to a fly.

10. Sep 13, 2011 #9
    Introduce bats into the library?

11. Sep 13, 2011 #10
    A desk fan?

12. Sep 14, 2011 #11

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, "f-l-i-e-s," I thought it was "f-i-l-e-s," and I was all "why aren't they using computers yet?

13. Sep 14, 2011 #12
    And in another thread...
    Probably you and me both need some sleep. :bugeye::rofl:

14. Sep 14, 2011 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Catch them in your hand. The best technique is to wait until the fly is on a large flat surface so its path of evasion is limited. Position your hand just above the surface to the side of the fly and rapidly sweep your hand across, catching the fly.

After catching the fly, hurl it against a wall. This will temporarily knock the fly senseless.

Then, pick up the fly and store it in a bottle. Once you've accumulated enough flies, you're ready for the next stage.

Store the bottle overnight in the freezer. The flies' metabolism will slow and they'll essentially be unconscious.

Superglue the legs of each fly's legs to the top of a very light model airplane. A model made of balsa wood and saran wrap will work excellently.

As the flies slowly thaw and regain consciousness, they'll begin to fly, providing a multi-fly engine for your model airplane.

Imagine the delight of the library patrons when they see your model airplane flying around the library powered by flies!

Or capture a bat and let it loose in the library. Watching a bat catch flies is almost as much fun as the model airplane option.

15. Sep 14, 2011 #14

fluidistic

Gold Member

I've found a trick to trick flies that aren't flying (i.e. when they are over a surface). I don't know if they can see in 3 dimension or in 2, but if you move your hand slowly (maybe about 1 cm/s) directly at them, they "won't see it" and you can, if you don't care having dirty fingers, crush it.
    If I knew more English I could describe the position of fingers+hand+arm but I'm at a loss.
    It's better if all your arm+finger+hand is on a single "line" so that the fly doesn't see horizontal motion. It might only see your fingers getting slightly bigger and bigger, but so slowly that it can't judge that they are already very close to it.

16. Sep 14, 2011 #15
    It's awful. Flo from Afula says any fool could imprison a fly in a flue along with a flea from a foal. But I feel she's full of it. And another fellow said this fallow idea doesn't follow. Her plan has a flaw and her logic doesn't flow. They wouldn't fall for it, they'd file their way out. And if they flew, they could flee and the plan would fail as they once again fill the room. End this folly and flay all the the flies in one fell swoop.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  17. Sep 14, 2011 #16

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard that flies can sense the change in air pressure from a hand moving rapidly towards them and get out of the way from that, so it's easier to kill them by moving your hand (or crushing device) slowly toward them until you're just about touching them

18. Sep 14, 2011 #17

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bring an electric flyzapper to the library. That ought to get the librarian's attention.

19. Sep 14, 2011 #18
    When the librarian isn't looking, splash a little sugar water on their clothing. Repeat as necessary.

20. Sep 14, 2011 #19
    I am so gonna get banned from the library lol

21. Sep 14, 2011 #20
    I thought the thread was about FLEAS in the library. Be glad it's flies and not fleas. I don't think eating in the library is the problem. We have a Starbucks in our library and there are not flies that I've seen. Being in Florida, we keep all buildings hermetically sealed and strongly air conditioned, which keeps the flies out. (lol) Does your library have open windows that are only screened or a door that's open a lot? Maybe you could explore other areas of campus with computer access? You're not going to get rid of the flies. Maybe complain to a local news station? The school might do something about the flies if they fear bad pr.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook