Floating Block: Period of oscillations

In summary: So, if we have a block with weight W and a displacement y from equilibrium, the net force on the block isF=W*y-mg.Now, if you want to solve for y, you'd use the second law of motion to integrate over the displacement y. Forgetting for a second that the net force on the block is zero, we get;F=W*y-mg+Pair*y=0So, the displacement y is zero if and only if the net force on the block is zero.
Spiewgels

Homework Statement

An oak block of ρ = 0.9 g/cm^3 and dimensions V = 10cm x 20cm x 20cm is floating in water of ρ0 = 1 g/cm^3. The block is slightly pushed into water and then released. Determine period, T, of oscillations.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure how to derive the set up of the problem. That's all I need to accomplish.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've derived my buoyant force on the block to be B = ρgV where ρ is density of water. I think the pressure on the bottom is pressure of top + ρgh. I don't know what the top pressure is or if it matters because the variable will cancel out. I've read somewhere that period of floating object could be = 2 x pi x sqrt (mass/gρa). I just don't know how to relate everything or if I have everything. If you could help me derive the expression or relate the components that'd be great. Not looking for an answer: I don't really care what the period is, but how to relate forces and pressures to get there. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I suggest we start be considering the net force acting on the block in conjunction with Newton's equation of motion. However, you should note that the volume of the block that is submerged (V) is a function of position;

[tex]V(y) = x\cdot y\cdot z[/tex]

Okay, I have the volume. 4000cm^3...or are you saying that's not the way to do it.

Okay, what we have here is a constant force (weight) and a position dependant force (bouyancy). So if we start by writing Newton's equation of motion;

[tex]F_{net} = \rho g V - mg = ma[/tex]

Which we can rewrite;

[tex](\rho g xz)y - mg = m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

Where y is the submerged height of the block (i.e. the vertical distance of the surface of the water to the bottom of the block. So, how would you now solve this differential equation?

I'm sorry, I haven't taken differential equations yet.

Spiewgels said:
I'm sorry, I haven't taken differential equations yet.
Forget differential equations then; use a spring for comparison. If you had a mass on a spring, would you be able to figure out the period of its oscillation? (I hope so.) If so, then get an equation for the restoring force on the block as a function of displacement from equilibrium--analogous to Hooke's law for a spring, F = -kx.

F = - (Aρg)y = -ky :Ay is additional water displaced Aρg is mass? So then ω = sqrt (k/m) = sqrt (Aρg/m)...Frequency of oscillation is μ = 1/2pi x sqrt (k/m), so the period is 2pi x sqrt (m/Aρg).. ?? Is this correct so far?

You've got the right idea, but be careful. The restoring buoyant force is the weight of the water displaced, so use the density of water. The mass of the block you can figure out from its given density and dimensions.

So now that I have that formula is everything that occurs accounted for? I only needed buoyant force to figure out k and then a derived expression for the period. Should that get me home safe?

Thanks guys for helping. I really appreciated that.

Hootenanny said:
Okay, what we have here is a constant force (weight) and a position dependant force (bouyancy). So if we start by writing Newton's equation of motion;

[tex]F_{net} = \rho g V - mg = ma[/tex]

Which we can rewrite;

[tex](\rho g xz)y - mg = m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}[/tex]

Where y is the submerged height of the block (i.e. the vertical distance of the surface of the water to the bottom of the block. So, how would you now solve this differential equation?

Doesn't air pressure be taken into account?

rbwang1225 said:
Doesn't air pressure be taken into account?
How do you mean?

I mean B-mg+Pair * Area = ma.

rbwang1225 said:
I mean B-mg+Pair * Area = ma.
OK. But realize that the net force on the block from Pair will be zero. (Ignoring the trivial amount of buoyant force from the air.)

1. What is the "Floating Block" experiment?

The Floating Block experiment is a physics experiment in which a block is attached to a spring and placed in a container of water. The block is free to move up and down due to the spring's elasticity and the water's buoyancy. This experiment is used to study the period of oscillations of the block.

2. What is the period of oscillations?

The period of oscillations is the time it takes for the block to complete one full cycle of motion, from its highest point to its lowest point and back to its highest point. In the Floating Block experiment, the period of oscillations refers to the time it takes for the block to complete one full up and down movement in the water.

3. What factors affect the period of oscillations in the Floating Block experiment?

The period of oscillations in the Floating Block experiment is affected by several factors, including the mass of the block, the spring constant of the spring, and the density of the water. A heavier block, a stiffer spring, and a less dense water will result in a shorter period of oscillations.

4. How is the period of oscillations calculated in the Floating Block experiment?

The period of oscillations can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant of the spring. This equation is derived from Hooke's Law and the equation for the period of a simple harmonic oscillator.

5. What is the significance of studying the period of oscillations in the Floating Block experiment?

Studying the period of oscillations in the Floating Block experiment allows us to better understand the relationship between mass, spring constant, and period in a simple harmonic oscillator. This experiment also demonstrates the principles of buoyancy and elasticity, which have practical applications in various fields such as engineering and architecture.