Flow around a reducing bend - effect on pumping work

In summary, the conversation discusses reducing pipe losses in a race vehicle's oil lubrication system by decreasing the size of a 120 degree bend. The reasoning for this change is not clear, but it is suggested that cavitation may be an issue due to the sudden change in pipe size. The conversation also mentions using a formula to characterize the issue, which suggests that a greater input energy would be required to turn the pump in this situation. Any additional input is welcome.
goodmans87
Hi all,

On my race vehicle, one part I am looking at is reducing the pipe losses within the modified oil lubrication system (now dry sump). The main area in question is a 120 degree bend that the engines lubrication pump is pulling oil into the oil storage tank. This has been reduced in ID from 16mm (-12JIC) to 13mm (-10JIC). Naturally I aim keen to reduce the radii difference, however I am struggling to put to words the reasoning for why.

In short, could cavitation be an issue? Since for around 0.5m the pipework is 16mm then round the inlet to the pump 13mm and expanding into a larger pump housing (around 20mm inlet)?

Could I characterise this issue using Q = (Pi*(R^4)*P)/8*L*n, since Q is the same (positive displacement pump), as are L/n/Pi we are left with:

R1^4*(P1)=R2^4*(P2) ---->>> (16E-3)^4*P1=(13E-3)^4*P2 ------>>> 2.3P1=P2, meaning that a 2.3 x greater input energy would be required to turn the pump specific to this situation?

Any input appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
ping @AK_NC can you help with this old post?

1. What is the purpose of studying the flow around a reducing bend?

The purpose of studying the flow around a reducing bend is to understand the effect of the bend on the pumping work required for fluid flow. This is important for designing efficient piping systems and optimizing energy usage.

2. How does the bend in a pipe affect the flow of fluid?

The bend in a pipe causes the fluid to change direction and flow around the bend. This results in a change in velocity and pressure, which can impact the pumping work required for the fluid to continue flowing.

3. What factors influence the effect of a reducing bend on pumping work?

The effect of a reducing bend on pumping work is influenced by several factors, including the angle and curvature of the bend, the diameter of the pipe, and the properties of the fluid such as viscosity and density.

4. How can the pumping work be minimized in a system with a reducing bend?

To minimize pumping work in a system with a reducing bend, the bend should be designed with a gradual angle and curvature, and the pipe diameter should be optimized for the specific flow conditions. Additionally, using a fluid with lower viscosity can also help reduce pumping work.

5. What are some potential consequences of not accounting for the effect of a reducing bend on pumping work?

If the effect of a reducing bend on pumping work is not taken into consideration, it can lead to an inefficient and energy-intensive piping system. This can result in higher operating costs and potential equipment failures due to excessive strain on the system.