Flow rates in a pipe system using the hazen williams formula

In summary, the conversation is about finding a tool or software to calculate flow rates in a pipe system using the Hazen Williams formula. One person suggests using Microsoft Excel, while another recommends checking the answers on a specific website. The solution is to simply plug in the formula with the given parameters.
amjid1709
I'm doing a project on flow rates in a pipe system using the hazen williams formula, does anyone know of a spread sheet or computer software that does this.

I have been told that it is possible doing it in Microsoft Excel, does any know?

Engineering news on Phys.org

amjid1709 said:
I'm doing a project on flow rates in a pipe system using the hazen williams formula, does anyone know of a spread sheet or computer software that does this.

I have been told that it is possible doing it in Microsoft Excel, does any know?

Just plug the formula in with the given parameters. Not much else to it.

Check your answers here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/william-hazens-equation-d_645.html

CS

cheers for that, just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks

1. What is the Hazen Williams formula and how is it used in pipe flow calculations?

The Hazen Williams formula is an empirical equation used to calculate the flow rate of water in a pipe. It takes into account the pipe material, diameter, and length, as well as the water temperature and pressure. It is commonly used in civil engineering for water distribution systems.

2. How does the Hazen Williams formula differ from other pipe flow equations?

The Hazen Williams formula is unique in that it takes into account the roughness coefficient of the pipe material, which reflects the internal surface roughness and resistance of the pipe. Other equations, such as the Darcy-Weisbach equation, do not include this factor.

3. What are the limitations of using the Hazen Williams formula for pipe flow calculations?

The Hazen Williams formula is limited in its applicability to only water flow in pipes. It also assumes steady, uniform flow conditions and does not take into account changes in elevation or friction losses at fittings and bends.

4. How do I determine the appropriate roughness coefficient to use in the Hazen Williams formula?

The roughness coefficient is typically obtained from published tables or can be estimated based on the type of pipe material. It is important to note that the roughness coefficient may vary depending on the age and condition of the pipe.

5. Can the Hazen Williams formula be used for non-circular pipes?

Yes, the Hazen Williams formula can be used for non-circular pipes by using an equivalent diameter, which takes into account the shape and size of the pipe. However, this may introduce more uncertainty in the calculation and is not recommended for pipes with extreme shapes or irregularities.