Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid dymanics basics ball valve full open vs. half open

1. May 28, 2016 #1
    is there any difference and why ? I have a ball valve with 100 psi jet fuel on one side and atmosphere on the other end ? Is there any difference if o have 100 psi and the valve all the way open vs. say 200 psi and only half way open . Please explain ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2016 #2
    I think there will be a significant difference... for starters, a half-open ball valve has 2 restrictive points (each side of the ball), and depending on the ratio of the size of the ball compared to the size of the hole through it, half-open may only be 30% of the area... This will also introduce a LOT of turbulence

4. May 30, 2016 #3

JBA

I just realized I still have an old Excel calculation I developed to determine to of flow area vs ball valve opening angle; and, taking a quick look at he graph curve of that calculation shows that at 1/2 (45°) open the flow area on each ball end is 39% of the full open area of a full bore ball valve. In addition, there will also be the extreme turbulence issue stated by Rx7man.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted