1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics: Hydraulic Lift

1. Jan 24, 2006 #1
    Hi,
    I have here a problem that I've been working on, and am not sure if I've gone about it correctly. The method I chose seems too simple, and I was wondering if someone could go over the answer that I've found, and let me know if I'm doing this right.

The problem:
    The piston of a hydraulic automobile lift is 0.30m in diameter. What guage pressure, in pascals, is required to lift a car with a mass of 1200kg?

First off, I just calculated it in Pascales, and haven't done the guage pressure thing yet, but this is the answer that I have come accross (Attached)
    [​IMG]

Again, this seems too simple... If I'm going about this the wrong way, I think I'm just having difficulty organizing the problem. Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks,
    HM

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2006 #2
    I think your steps are correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?