1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics: Inviscid flow v.s. Laminar flow

1. Nov 20, 2008 #1
    Hey guys, I am kind of confused here but can you guys define for me inviscid flow and laminar flow?

In my understanding, inviscid flow is when viscous effect is very weak and laminar flow is when reynolds number is in general, less than 2300. In that effect, does that mean that viscosity for laminar flow is in general higher than that for inviscid flow?

thx a lot! =)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2008 #2
    Inviscid flow means flow without friction, so viscosity is completely disregarded.

Laminar flow is, like you said, dealing with the Reynolds number. A much higher Re would get you turbulent flow.

Basically the difference between laminar flow and turbulent flow, upon examining what the Re is comprised of, is the dominance of the forces.

Re is basically inertial forces/viscous forces acting upon the fluid.

Laminar flow, with a lower Re, basically has a fluid that is more dominated by viscous forces, whereas turbulent flow is more dominated by its inertial force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?