Fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of a lab exploring the Raman effect. The speaker recorded the Raman spectrum from a mercury lamp through CCl4 at two wavelengths, 435.8 nm and 404.7 nm. While the frequency shifts at 435.8 nm were consistent with expectations, the shifts at 404.7 nm were off and only stokes lines were seen, possibly due to interference from fluorescence. The speaker asked for ideas on why this may be happening. Another person suggested that the stokes lines could be cosmic ray peaks.
wakko101
I'm currently working on a lab that is exploring the Raman effect. One of the suggested exercises was to record the raman spectrum (from a mercury lamp through CCl4) around the rayleigh peaks at 435.8 nm and 404.7 nm. For the former, my results were fairly consistent with what I expected in that the frequency shifts were mostly on the ball. However, in the latter wavelength, 404.7, not only do my frequency shifts fall off the mark, but I only see stokes lines and no anti-stokes lines. My thoughts were that this might be due to the interference of fluorescence, but I'm not too familiar with this phenomenon.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am getting the results that I have? Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
W. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluorescence typically means no measurement at all, since it is so much stronger than the Raman signal.

Are your Stokes lines actually cosmic ray peaks?

Claude.

1. What is the difference between fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy?

Fluorescence spectroscopy measures the emission of light from a sample after it has been excited by a specific wavelength of light. Raman spectroscopy, on the other hand, measures the scattered light from a sample after it has been exposed to a range of wavelengths. This scattered light provides information about the molecular vibrations of the sample.

2. How does fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy work?

Fluorescence spectroscopy works by emitting a specific wavelength of light onto a sample, causing the molecules in the sample to become excited and emit light at a different wavelength. Raman spectroscopy works by shining a range of wavelengths of light onto a sample and measuring the scattered light. The difference in energy between the incident light and the scattered light provides information about the molecular vibrations of the sample.

3. What types of samples can be analyzed using fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy?

Both fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy can be used to analyze a wide range of samples, including liquids, solids, and gases. They are commonly used in the analysis of biological samples, pharmaceuticals, and materials science research.

4. What are the advantages of using fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy?

One advantage of fluorescence spectroscopy is its high sensitivity, allowing for the detection of very small amounts of a substance. Raman spectroscopy, on the other hand, can provide information about the chemical composition and molecular structure of a sample. Additionally, both techniques are non-destructive and can be used to analyze samples in their natural state.

5. What are some common applications of fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy?

Fluorescence and Raman spectroscopy have a wide range of applications, including drug discovery, environmental analysis, and forensics. They are also commonly used in materials science research to study the structure and properties of various materials. In the medical field, both techniques are used for diagnostic purposes, such as detecting diseases and monitoring treatment progress.