Flux attenuation, given interaction cross section

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the outgoing neutron flux on the reverse side of a target material, given information about the neutron flux and the neutron interaction cross section of the target. The speaker suggests that the effective target size, determined by the cross section and number density of atoms, can be used to calculate the probability of interaction. They also mention using this information to determine the final flux and number of neutrons that have interacted with the material. An example is provided to illustrate the calculations involved.
thefury
It strikes me that this may well be fairly easy, but i can't quite get my head round the correct way to lay this problem out (at least in a mathematical sense).

If you are considering a neutron flux onto a fully understood material, and you also know the neutron interaction cross section of the target object and the flux of the incoming neutrons, should it be possible to calculate the out going flux (i.e. on the reverse side of the target) ?

I'm guessing that the cross section and the number density of the atoms in the target will give you an effective target size, from which you could calculate a probability of interaction (i think?). Then this may be a simple task to apply to a given flux through a material of selectable thickness to give a final flux and/or number of neutrons that should have interacted with the material.

any help would be appreciated, i think i just need a good nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is an example.

10 MeV neutrons on aluminum target. Cross section (n,total) is ~ 2 barns per atom.

σ = 2 barns per atom = 2 x 10-24 cm2 per atom
N0 = 6 x 1023 atoms per mole (Avagradro's number)
A = 27 grams per mole (atomic weight)
D = 2.7 grams/cm3 (density)
μ = attenuation coefficient (cm-1)

μ = σN0D/A = 0.12 cm-1

If the incident neutron flux is F0, the flux at penetration x is

F(x) = F0 e-μx

Bob S

What is flux attenuation?

Flux attenuation is the decrease in the number of particles or waves passing through a certain area due to interactions with the medium they are passing through.

What is interaction cross section?

Interaction cross section is a measure of the probability of an interaction occurring between a particle or wave and a target object.

How are flux attenuation and interaction cross section related?

Flux attenuation and interaction cross section are directly related. As the interaction cross section increases, the flux attenuation also increases, meaning more particles or waves are being scattered or absorbed by the medium.

What factors affect flux attenuation?

The main factors that affect flux attenuation are the properties of the medium, such as density and composition, and the energy and type of the incoming particles or waves.

How is flux attenuation calculated?

Flux attenuation can be calculated using the formula: I = I0 * e-nσd, where I is the final intensity, I0 is the initial intensity, n is the number density of the medium, σ is the interaction cross section, and d is the distance travelled through the medium.