• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Flux through various Gauss' surfaces

• Thread starter vysero
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I have uploaded a file that shows the question.[/B]

Homework Equations

I believe the only relevant equation is: flux = Q(enclosed)/E(knot)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have some questions first. The problem statement says that the sphere on the left has a net charge Q. I was under the assumption that all of the charge for a conducting sphere would be located on the outside of the sphere is this true? Does it matter that the sphere is made of a conducting vs insulating material? My attempt:

A- No flux because no charge is enclosed.
B- (Q/2)/E(knot)

Now for the second sphere (the insulating material). Here I am not sure what the difference is as I said before. I know that if the question were regarding charge then I would need to deal with density. However, the question is about flux, so I guess my question is this: In an insulating material is the charge Q evenly distributed throughout the sphere? Or can I still say:

D- Zero
E- (Q/2)/E(knot)[/B]

As for C, I am not sure what to do with C.

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I have uploaded a file that shows the question.[/B]

Homework Equations

I believe the only relevant equation is: flux = Q(enclosed)/E(knot)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I have some questions first. The problem statement says that the sphere on the left has a net charge Q. I was under the assumption that all of the charge for a conducting sphere would be located on the outside of the sphere is this true? Does it matter that the sphere is made of a conducting vs insulating material? My attempt:

A- No flux because no charge is enclosed.
B- (Q/2)/E(knot)

Now for the second sphere (the insulating material). Here I am not sure what the difference is as I said before. I know that if the question were regarding charge then I would need to deal with density. However, the question is about flux, so I guess my question is this: In an insulating material is the charge Q evenly distributed throughout the sphere? Or can I still say:

D- Zero
E- (Q/2)/E(knot)[/B]

As for C, I am not sure what to do with C.
You'll want to assume that the charge is distributed uniformly through the insulating sphere. Work using that assumption. You won't be able to compute the charge in C exactly, you just need to figure out whether it's greater or less than the others.

You'll want to assume that the charge is distributed uniformly through the insulating sphere. Work using that assumption. You won't be able to compute the charge in C exactly, you just need to figure out whether it's greater or less than the others.
Okay so how does this sound:

E=B>D=C>A

I was trying to think about D and C. Correct me if I am wrong but I think there volume is equal.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Okay so how does this sound:

E=B>D>C>A
Sounds ok to me.

Sounds ok to me.
Sorry I correct my post to late so is it going to be:

E=B>D>C>A or are D and C equal?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Sorry I correct my post to late so is it going to be:

E=B>D>C>A or are D and C equal?
Why would you think D and C are equal?

Well if V of the larger circle is 4/3pR^3
Why would you think D and C are equal?
Yeah I don't anymore sorry I wasn't thinking straight :D Thanks for your help!