1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through various Gauss' surfaces

1. Feb 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have uploaded a file that shows the question.

2. Relevant equations

I believe the only relevant equation is: flux = Q(enclosed)/E(knot)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I have some questions first. The problem statement says that the sphere on the left has a net charge Q. I was under the assumption that all of the charge for a conducting sphere would be located on the outside of the sphere is this true? Does it matter that the sphere is made of a conducting vs insulating material? My attempt:

A- No flux because no charge is enclosed.
    B- (Q/2)/E(knot)

Now for the second sphere (the insulating material). Here I am not sure what the difference is as I said before. I know that if the question were regarding charge then I would need to deal with density. However, the question is about flux, so I guess my question is this: In an insulating material is the charge Q evenly distributed throughout the sphere? Or can I still say:

D- Zero
    E- (Q/2)/E(knot)

As for C, I am not sure what to do with C.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll want to assume that the charge is distributed uniformly through the insulating sphere. Work using that assumption. You won't be able to compute the charge in C exactly, you just need to figure out whether it's greater or less than the others.

4. Feb 3, 2015 #3
    Okay so how does this sound:

E=B>D=C>A

I was trying to think about D and C. Correct me if I am wrong but I think there volume is equal.

5. Feb 3, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds ok to me.

6. Feb 3, 2015 #5
    Sorry I correct my post to late so is it going to be:

E=B>D>C>A or are D and C equal?

7. Feb 3, 2015 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why would you think D and C are equal?

8. Feb 3, 2015 #7
    Well if V of the larger circle is 4/3pR^3
    Yeah I don't anymore sorry I wasn't thinking straight :D Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted