Gauss' law and flux concept issues

In summary, the concept of flux is related to the number of lines passing through an area, and is proportional to it. This is seen in the case of a 2D circle enclosing a 2q charge, where the flux is 2q/Epsilon, and in the case of a 3D sphere with the same diameter, where the flux is also 2q/Epsilon. However, it is important to note that Gauss's law only holds for closed surfaces, so a circle in three-dimensional space will not follow this law.
engineeringstudnt
Homework Statement
Gauss's law and flux concept issues
Relevant Equations
flux=Qenclosing/Epsilon
Hi guys i have some concept issues about flux. My book says flux is proportional to the number of lines passing through that area. so my question is: first i am thinking that a 2D circle which has a 2r diameter and it is enclosing a 2q charge so its flux should be 2q/Epsilon.then i am thinking a 3D sphere which have a 2r diamater again. so its flux should be 2q/Epsilon too ,right ?

but how ? isn't the sphere has more electric field lines passing through its area ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Gaussian surface must be a closed surface. A circle in three-dimensional space isn't a closed surface, so Gauss's law won't hold.

Likes engineeringstudnt
thank you very much i am thinking about this almost 45 minutes :D

1. What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through a given area. It is defined as the dot product of the electric field and the area vector of a surface. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter squared (V/m2).

3. How is Gauss' Law applied in practical situations?

Gauss' Law is applied in practical situations to calculate the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charges. It is also used to determine the net charge enclosed by a closed surface, which can be useful in analyzing the behavior of electric fields in conductors and insulators.

4. What is the relationship between electric flux and electric field?

The electric flux through a closed surface is directly proportional to the electric field passing through that surface. This means that if the electric field is stronger, the electric flux will also be stronger. The relationship is also affected by the angle between the electric field and the area vector of the surface. When the electric field and area vector are perpendicular, the electric flux is at its maximum value.

5. Can Gauss' Law be used to calculate the electric field for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss' Law can be used to calculate the electric field for any type of charge distribution, as long as the charge is enclosed by the closed surface being considered. This includes point charges, line charges, surface charges, and volume charges. However, the shape and symmetry of the charge distribution may affect the complexity of the calculations required.