1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Focal length of diffraction grating for recip. dispersion

1. Feb 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What would the focal length be of a diffraction grating if the set up is a laser placed 1 m from the 0 order diffraction?
    Would it be the distance from the grating to the laser or the distance from the grating to the image?

2. Relevant equations
    1/f = 1/o + 1/i
    Rd = [Df]-1
    D=[sina + sinb]/λcosb
    sina = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no such things as a focal length for a diffraction grating. What makes you think there is ?

4. Feb 25, 2016 #3
    I assumed there was because I need to calculate the linear reciprocal dispersion of a first and second order diffraction and the formula is Rd = [Df]-1 where f is focal length (in my notes).
    Is it possible to find a linear reciprocal dispersion for a diffraction grating at all?

5. Feb 25, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps you should start with a complete and concise problem statement with all the variables clearly described. And then the relevant equations should establish relationships between those variables. By the time that's sorted out the problem is a mathematical problem. In the solution attempt you try to manipulate the relationships until the quantity that is asked for is expressed uniquely in terms of the given data.

There is such a thing as dispersion for a grating, so don't despair :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted