Focus of Lens Submerged In Water

In summary, when a glass lens with a refractive index of 1.50 is submerged in water with a refractive index of 1.33, the power of the lens is reduced to 1.3 diopters. This can be calculated using the thin lens equation and Snell's Law, taking into account the difference in refractive indices between the lens and the surrounding medium.
JSGandora

Homework Statement

A glass lens (n=1.50) in air has a power of +5.2 diopters. What would its power be if it were submerged in water?

Homework Equations

Not too sure. May be Lensmaker's Equation, Snell's Law, and Power of a Lens Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to derive the Lensmaker's Equation with the surrounding substance having index of refraction 1.33 but that didn't work. I also tried changing the index of refraction of the lens so that it was with respect to the speed of light in water rather than in air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, I found it.

I have found the solution to be 1.3 diopters. You just divide the refractive index of the lens by that of the water to get the effective refractive index from Snell's Law. That derivation of the Lensmaker's equation holds true so we get [itex]\left(\frac{1.5}{1.33}-1\right)(10.4)\approx \boxed{1.3D}[/itex]. I got the same concept last night without knowing that it was correct because I didn't subtract 1 from the ratio of refractive indices. >.<

1. What is the concept of "Focus of Lens Submerged In Water"?

The concept of "Focus of Lens Submerged In Water" refers to the change in the focal length of a lens when it is placed in a medium with a different refractive index, such as water. This change in focal length affects the clarity and sharpness of the image formed by the lens.

2. How does the refractive index of water affect the focus of a lens?

The refractive index of water is higher than that of air, which means that light travels slower through water. This change in speed of light causes the focal length of a lens to decrease when submerged in water, resulting in a change in the focus of the lens.

3. Does the shape of the lens play a role in the focus when submerged in water?

Yes, the shape of the lens does play a role in the focus when submerged in water. A convex lens will have a shorter focal length when submerged, while a concave lens will have a longer focal length. This is due to the direction of refraction of light as it passes through the lens and water.

4. How does the distance between the lens and the object affect the focus when submerged in water?

The distance between the lens and the object does not have a significant effect on the focus when submerged in water. However, if the object is very close to the lens, the change in focus may be more noticeable due to the curved shape of the lens.

5. Can the focus of a lens submerged in water be corrected?

Yes, the focus of a lens submerged in water can be corrected by using a corrective lens or by adjusting the distance between the lens and the object. This allows for clearer and sharper images to be captured underwater.