Focus of Lens Submerged In Water

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
JSGandora
Messages
92
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A glass lens (n=1.50) in air has a power of +5.2 diopters. What would its power be if it were submerged in water?

Homework Equations


Not too sure. May be Lensmaker's Equation, Snell's Law, and Power of a Lens Equation.

The Attempt at a Solution


I'm trying to derive the Lensmaker's Equation with the surrounding substance having index of refraction 1.33 but that didn't work. I also tried changing the index of refraction of the lens so that it was with respect to the speed of light in water rather than in air.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Haha, I found it.

I have found the solution to be 1.3 diopters. You just divide the refractive index of the lens by that of the water to get the effective refractive index from Snell's Law. That derivation of the Lensmaker's equation holds true so we get [itex]\left(\frac{1.5}{1.33}-1\right)(10.4)\approx \boxed{1.3D}[/itex]. I got the same concept last night without knowing that it was correct because I didn't subtract 1 from the ratio of refractive indices. >.<