Optics: Half Lens in the Air, Half Lens in Water.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Steveyudea
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hello everybody! One surface of a biconvex lens (n=1,5) is in the air (na=1) while the other surface is dipped in the water (nw=4/3). If the power of the lens in the air is Po=10 Dioptri, The lens power in such condition is?

Homework Equations


Lensmaker Equation
Pl=((n2/n1)-1).{(1/R1)-(1/R2)}

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to derived the lensmaker equation for three medium using geometry resulting in (P=[n1/do]+[n3/di]). Since there is no given distance of object nor distance of the image, I do not know how to work this problem out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Steveyudea said:

Homework Statement


Hello everybody! One surface of a biconvex lens (n=1,5) is in the air (na=1) while the other surface is dipped in the water (nw=4/3). If the power of the lens in the air is Po=10 Dioptri, The lens power in such condition is?

Homework Equations


Lensmaker Equation
Pl=((n2/n1)-1).{(1/R1)-(1/R2)}

The Attempt at a Solution


I've tried to derived the lensmaker equation for three medium using geometry resulting in (P=[n1/do]+[n3/di]). Since there is no given distance of object nor distance of the image, I do not know how to work this problem out.
Try considering the lens as two planoconvex lenses together. Do you know how to calculate the power of two lenses in series?