Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Food Sciences section in Other Science

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    Food Sciences section in "Other Science"

I think a food sciences section under the "Other" would be a great addition. A lot of modern cooks and chefs are getting much more into the science of their art to advance it.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Food Sciences section in "Other Science"

A new section in the forums should only be made if there are a lot of posts on the topic. I did not really see much posts on food sciences yet, so I doubt that it deserves a new section...

4. Nov 12, 2011 #3

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I appreciate the point but I think the current other sciences sections are up to the task. If someone wants to talk about molecular gastronomy or nutrition the Biology and Medical Sciences forum are relevant sections to post.

There is also the matter that food science itself is not a separate field, but an interdisciplinary biological field that overlaps with other areas. For that reason as well as what micro says (we don't get enough posts, if any, on the subject) I don't think there's a good enough justification for it. Thanks for the suggestion though :smile:

5. Nov 12, 2011 #4

Borek

As Micromass pointed out, new forums are created when the traffic already exists, not to wait for a traffic to develop.

6. Nov 12, 2011 #5

turbo

Gold Member

We already have a food thread (a very popular thread), so if any members want to explore the science behind food preparation there is a perfect place for it. You wouldn't believe the processes that I have developed for cooking something as simple as hot dogs and grilled rolls to get them *just* right. Then, there is brining, smoking, etc. Bring in the essential tools (quality knives, well-seasoned cast-iron pots and pans, etc, and the proper ways to care for them) and you already have the basis for some pretty technical discussions.

7. Nov 12, 2011 #6

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. And if someone wants to know about https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=468902", there's expertise there also. :approve:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Nov 12, 2011 #7

Evo

Hi thrafgig, I would suggest that you post any food related questions in the food thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=124615&page=262

It was just by accident that I found your post on immersion cooking in the Chemistry sub-forum.. I'm going to move it to the food thread since it would probably be more appreciated by cooks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook