Football question (kinematics)

• Thread starter hotshot1kille
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem involves a football being kicked from a height of 2.0m and reaching a maximum height of 8.0m. The initial velocity and time taken to reach the maximum height need to be calculated. With the given variables, the problem can be solved using the one-dimensional free-fall equations and assuming the initial velocity to be 0. Using the given data, the acceleration is -9.8m/s^2 and the final velocity is 0. By applying the appropriate equations, the initial velocity and time taken can be determined.

Homework Statement

A foot ball is kicked from a height of 2.0 m to a maximum height of 8.0m. Calculate the football's initial velocity and the time taken to reach the maximum height.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I could solve it if i was given time, acceleration or vf or v i but only two variables are given and that too of the same. Can someone help me. I could assume vi is 0, but i have no idea how to approach this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If this is a one-dimensional free-fall problem , then this is how you solve it:

Your Δx is 6
Final velocity is given to you: Since it says maximum height, at that height your final velocity will be 0.
Most importantly, your acceleration will be -9.8 m/s^2 since once the football is in the air, gravity is the only force acting on it.

With those given data, just go to your big four, and voila! :)

Ahh i see, yea now it makes sense. Thanks a lot!

1. What is kinematics in football?

Kinematics in football is the study of motion and movement of players and the ball on the field. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects during a game.

2. How is kinematics used in football?

Kinematics is used in football to understand and improve player performance, assess injuries and prevent them, and to analyze game strategies and tactics. It can also be used to track the movement of the ball and determine the speed and trajectory of shots.

3. What are some examples of kinematics in football?

Examples of kinematics in football include calculating the velocity and acceleration of a receiver during a pass, analyzing the angle and velocity of a kick, and tracking the movement of players during a play to determine the most efficient routes and strategies.

4. How does kinematics play a role in injury prevention in football?

Kinematics helps identify and analyze the movements and forces that are most likely to cause injuries in football players. By understanding the mechanics of movements, coaches and trainers can develop strategies and exercises to prevent injuries and improve player safety.

5. What technologies are used to study kinematics in football?

There are various technologies used to study kinematics in football, such as motion capture systems, high-speed cameras, and GPS tracking devices. These technologies provide precise data on player movements and can be used to create 3D visualizations and simulations for analysis.

Suggested for: Football question (kinematics)

Back