Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For GNU/linux users, what distribution(s) do you use?

1. Mint

5.3%
  2. Ubuntu

42.1%
  3. Debian

21.1%
  4. Mageia

2.6%
  5. Fedora

13.2%
  6. OpenSUSE

7.9%
  7. PCLinuxOS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Manjaro

2.6%
  9. Arch

5.3%
  10. Puppy

2.6%
  11. CentOS

18.4%
  12. Zorin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Bodhi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. CrunchBang

2.6%
  15. OS4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Lubuntu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. FreeBSD

2.6%
  18. Pear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Antergos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Other (please speficy)

13.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jun 23, 2013 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

According to some websites GNU/linux Mint has become the standard while Ubuntu's fame decreased drastically after the introduction of Unity. So much that now it's currently the 3rd or 4th most popular distribution.
    I still use Ubuntu and I'm curious if those "results" have impacted PF users.
    So if you're a GNU/linux user, please participate in the poll. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2013 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Define "use" :wink:

I have raspbian at home (let's say it is just Debian) and CF runs on CentOS, so while I did not set the server up, I am definitely using it. I also tried to set up Arch on my Raspberry Pi, but I wasn't able to make it work with my USB based WiFi adapter (which works with raspbian out of the box).

4. Jun 23, 2013 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

lol. In that case I'd choose Debian and CentOS. But that's just my criteria.

5. Jun 23, 2013 #4

Borek

That's what I did :smile:

Note: it is not that I selected these distros consciously, in a way I was forced to use them.

6. Jun 23, 2013 #5
    My Fileserver is running CentOS. For my desktop/notebook, I use Ubuntu and Mint

7. Jun 23, 2013 #6

wukunlin

Gold Member

when I used to use linux I used ubuntu just because all the people who mark my codes uses it and I don't want any problems caused by me using a different distro

8. Jun 23, 2013 #7

jim mcnamara

We have 30+ Linux boxes at work - mostly OpenSuse and CentOS, with a few 'Oracle unbreakable Linux' instances.
    We use Suse for surveillance cameras at remote offices, storage depots, scada sensors, pumps, etc. Suse also works for our Snort servers. We have six VLAN's each one snortified.

9. Jun 24, 2013 #8

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I first started using Linux on my personal computer with Ubuntu 8.04, which was ok, but took some fiddling to get working with the video card I had then. I really liked Ubuntu 11.04. But I was annoyed with Gnome 3 and Unity when they came out.

I tried Linux Mint for a short while, but Mate and Cinnamon both feel like hacks tacked onto Gnome 3 to me. So I tried Mint XFCE. It was ok, but then I started having problems with getting up-to-date versions of things. In particular, the kernel at that time had a bug that caused my laptop to get really hot. A newer version of the kernel was out that supposedly fixed it, but it was not in the Mint repositories yet. So I decided I'd rather not be beholden to Canonical's decisions on when to update packages in their repositories.

I installed Arch Linux, and I'm very happy with it. I'm running XFCE, which I think is ideal for the kind of person who really liked Gnome 2 and doesn't feel like re-learning everything in Gnome 3. There is a bit of a challenge in Arch Linux in that you have to pick and choose exactly what you want, and while it's easy to install everything and get it running, you might forget that you needed to install a network manager, a Samba daemon, a printer settings GUI control, etc. I now keep a list for future reference.

On the other hand, the strength of Arch is that you don't have to install what you don't want. My system under Arch is able to boot so fast that I didn't notice any difference in boot speed after upgrading to a solid state drive.

10. Jun 24, 2013 #9

I like Serena

Homework Helper

I liked 11.04 as well, but found that I was forced to continually update it just to get new software that I installed to work.
    That is when I found that Ubuntu releases Long-Term-Service (LTS) versions that are always even numbered.
    Nowadays, I only use 10.04 LTS, 12.04 LTS, and so on.

11. Jun 24, 2013 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also have a NAS that runs FreeNAS, and a Raspberry Pi that runs Raspbian. Generally I'll use whatever's appropriate. If I had some reason to buld a more elaborate home server that did more than just serve files, I might use Debian. When I eventually get around to building a media center PC, I'll probably (gasp!) buy a copy of Windows for it.

For my machines that I use on a daily basis, I prefer Arch. But if a friend asked me for a recommendation (and they were fairly new to Linux), I'd tell them Ubuntu or Mint. I've heard Mageia is good, too, but I have no personal experience with it.

But it depends on people's needs, too. There isn't a "best" Linux.

12. Jun 24, 2013 #11

Borek

Have you considered Raspberry Pi with XBMC?

13. Jun 24, 2013 #12

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I want to build a machine that plays DVDs, Netflix, and modern computer games. Raspberry Pi won't cut it. The main reason for Windows is the games. (I have Netflix working perfectly in Linux, actually).

14. Jun 24, 2013 #13

Borek

OK, games change the situation, definitely.

I am using the above mentioned combination to watch movies (from USB pendrive and/or USB HDD) and it works perfectly.

15. Jun 24, 2013 #14
    PF runs on CentOS :)

16. Jun 25, 2013 #15
    I have fedora and as someone studying for his linux exam, I hate it. The fedora structure of the filesystem, and where things are laid out is very different than other "standard" linux OS'. As I study forthe exam, a lot of things in the books don't apply, because Fedora uses something called System D instead of the normal set of standards of System V or BSD. It's a fine OS but they changed so much that it's hard for me to use it to study with. I'm thinking about switching to CentOS.

17. Jun 29, 2013 #16

fluidistic

Gold Member

Interesting and surprising results to me so far! CentOS is way more popular than I expected and Ubuntu is still quite used.

18. Jun 30, 2013 #17
    I use Ubuntu Studio 12.04, a variant of Ubuntu aimed at multimedia creation. Comes with loads of preloaded apps which work out of the box (mostly). But I might switch to openSUSE depending on which way the Mir/Canonical situation goes.

19. Jun 30, 2013 #18

strangerep

Science Advisor

Yeah -- I was happy enough with Ubuntu, but hated Unity.

After a fair bit of research, and some trial+error, I'm now running Sabayon+KDE.

Sabayon linux is not one of your poll choices. It's derived from Gentoo (also not listed).

20. Aug 9, 2013 #19

fluidistic

Gold Member

I've just finished the install of Mageia. So I triple boot Windows XP, Ubuntu 12.04 and now Mageia 3 (with KDE interface).

21. Aug 15, 2013 #20

Pythagorean

Gold Member

no slackware option :eek:

slackware.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook