For ## n\geq 2 ##, ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational?

• Thread starter Math100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary: So you have $$\frac{a^{x_1}-a^{x_2}}{x_1-x_2}$$ looks like $$\frac{a^{x}-a^{0}}{x}$$ for $$x_1,x_2$$ close to zero. For $$x$$ close to zero $$a^x>1$$ so the slope is large. You can make it more rigorous by defining the derivative as a limit, but it's been a while since I've done calculus so I'm not gonna do it.In summary, we can prove that the function a^x - x has no zeros by showing that a^x grows faster than x and that its slope is large for values close to
Math100
Homework Statement
Establish the following fact:
For ## n\geq 2 ##, ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational.
[Hint: Use the fact that ## 2^{n}>n ##.]
Relevant Equations
None.
Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is rational for ## n\geq 2 ##.
Then we have ## \sqrt[n]{n}=\frac{a}{b} ## for some ## a,b\in\mathbb{Z} ## such that
## gcd(a,b)=1 ## where ## b\neq 0 ##.
Thus ## (\sqrt[n]{n})^{n}=(\frac{a}{b})^{n} ##
## n=\frac{a^{n}}{b^{n}} ##
## b^{n} n=a^{n} ##.
Note that ## gcd(a,b)=1 ## implies ## gcd(a^{n}, b^{n})=1 ##.
This means ## b^{n}=1 ## because ## n\geq 2 ## is an integer.
Now we have ## a^{n}=n ##.
Since ## n\geq 2 ##, it follows that ## a\neq 1 ##.
Thus ## a^{n}\geq 2^{n} ## for ## a\geq 2 ##.
But the fact that ## 2^{n}>n ## contradicts our assumption of ## a^{n}\geq 2^{n} ## for
## a\geq 2 ##.
Therefore, for ## n\geq 2 ##, ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational.

Physics news on Phys.org
The use of gcd seems so surprising to me. I wonder if you can simplify this...

1. ## \sqrt[n]{n} = x ## with x being rational.
2. ## n = x ^ n ##
3. n is an integer, so x must be an integer
4. ## 1 ^ n ## is too small and ## 2 ^ n ## is too large.

Likes PeroK and dextercioby
Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Establish the following fact:
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Suppose for the sake of contradiction that ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is rational for ## n\geq 2 ##.
This is the same mistake you always make. Okay, you might just have omitted the word "some". But based on previous homework, you always/often take the "opposite" instead of the negation.

You have to find some way to stop making this same mistake again.

Mike S. said:

2. ## n = x ^ n ##
@Math100 This is so much easier to read than your rambling style. You need to change the way you write proofs.

Math100 said:
Homework Statement:: Establish the following fact:
Relevant Equations:: None.

Proof:

Then we have ## \sqrt[n]{n}=\frac{a}{b} ## for some ## a,b\in\mathbb{Z} ## such that
## gcd(a,b)=1 ## where ## b\neq 0 ##.
Thus ## (\sqrt[n]{n})^{n}=(\frac{a}{b})^{n} ##
## n=\frac{a^{n}}{b^{n}} ##
## b^{n} n=a^{n} ##.
Note that ## gcd(a,b)=1 ## implies ## gcd(a^{n}, b^{n})=1 ##.
This means ## b^{n}=1 ## because ## n\geq 2 ## is an integer.
Now we have ## a^{n}=n ##.
Since ## n\geq 2 ##, it follows that ## a\neq 1 ##.
Thus ## a^{n}\geq 2^{n} ## for ## a\geq 2 ##.
But the fact that ## 2^{n}>n ## contradicts our assumption of ## a^{n}\geq 2^{n} ## for
## a\geq 2 ##.
Therefore, for ## n\geq 2 ##, ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational.
This is correct. You should try to write it without contradiction, and generally avoid unnecessary statements. E.g. the line ##b^n n=a^n## set me on a completely wrong track. Your argument used the fraction formula, not the integer version. From ##b^n n=a^n## you can only conclude that ##n## divides ##a##.

Last edited:
Likes Math100
From the other thread we also have "##\sqrt[n]{a}## is rational only if ##\sqrt[n]{a}## is an integer" for positive integers ##a##. Exclude the possibility that ##\sqrt[n]{n}## is an integer and the result follows.

Likes PeroK
Mike S. said:

2. ## n = x ^ n ##
How do you prove 3. without something 'Write ##x =a/b## with ##\gcd(a, b) = 1##. Then ##xb^n = a^n##. ...'

PeroK said:
@Math100 This is so much easier to read than your rambling style. You need to change the way you write proofs.
I have the impression he is being told and taught to write them that way, so sometimes pays more attention to supposedly required style than substance.

I thought the proof here was fine. It's basically the same as you would to to prove ##\sqrt{2}## is irrational, and I agree with fish that Mike's proof is only as good as the assumption in step 3.

There are plenty of posts that have actual mistakes, there's no point in clogging up this thread with a discussion about the style.

Likes fishturtle1, Math100 and fresh_42
It seems you can consider the function $$a^x-x $$ and show it has no zeros. For $$x=0$$ there's no equality ; $$ a^0=1>0$$. Then show $$a^x $$ grows faster than $$x$$.

1. What does it mean for a number to be irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction where the numerator and denominator are both whole numbers.

2. How do you prove that ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational?

To prove that ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is irrational, we can use a proof by contradiction. Assume that ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a fraction ## \frac{a}{b} ## where ## a ## and ## b ## are integers. Then, we can raise both sides to the ## n ##th power to get ## n = \frac{a^n}{b^n} ##. However, this contradicts the fact that ## n ## is not a perfect ## n ##th power, therefore ## \sqrt[n]{n} ## must be irrational.

3. Why is the statement only true for ## n\geq 2 ##?

This statement is only true for ## n\geq 2 ## because for ## n=1 ##, the expression ## \sqrt[1]{1} ## is equal to 1, which is a rational number. Therefore, the statement does not hold for ## n=1 ##.

4. Can you provide an example of an irrational number?

Yes, an example of an irrational number is ## \sqrt{2} ##. This number cannot be expressed as a fraction and has an infinite number of non-repeating decimals.

5. How is this statement relevant in mathematics?

This statement is relevant in mathematics because it helps us understand the properties of rational and irrational numbers. It also allows us to make important distinctions between different types of numbers and their properties, which are essential in many mathematical proofs and applications.