Let k∈N, Show that there is i∈N s.t (1−(1/k))^i − (1−(2/k))^i ≥ 1/4

In summary: I note this comment at the cited link "analyzing the relevant first derivatives/a well-known limit." Maybe that limit is ##\lim _{x\rightarrow\infty}(1-1/x)^i##.
idobido
Homework Statement
not done
Relevant Equations
Bernoulli's inequality
Newton's Binomial
Taylor expansion
let ##k \in\mathbb{N},## Show that there is ##i\in\mathbb{N} ##s.t ##\ \left(1-\frac{1}{k}\right)^{i}-\left(1-\frac{2}{k}\right)^{i}\geq \frac{1}{4} ##

I tried to use Bernoulli's inequality and related inequality for the left and right expression but i the expression smaller than 1/4 for any i or k.
I also tried Newton's Binomial Theorem, Taylor expansion with no success.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
idobido said:
Homework Statement: not done
Relevant Equations: Bernoulli's inequality
Newton's Binomial
Taylor expansion

let ##k \in\mathbb{N},## Show that there is ##i\in\mathbb{N} ##s.t ##\ \left(1-\frac{1}{k}\right)^{i}-\left(1-\frac{2}{k}\right)^{i}\geq \frac{1}{4} ##

I tried to use Bernoulli's inequality and related inequality for the left and right expression but i the expression smaller than 1/4 for any i or k.
I also tried Newton's Binomial Theorem, Taylor expansion with no success.
Since you haven't had any success with the methods you've tried so far, it might be helpful to do some paper and pencil exploration. Start by setting k to 2, and seeing what happens for i = 1, i = 2, and so on.
Then set k = 3, and see what you get for i = 1, i = 2, and so on. You might be able to discover some pattern that will give you insight into a proof.

Maybe plot the function :
##f(x,y):=(1-\frac {1}{x})^y-(1- \frac {2}{x})^y-1/4##?

already did, it seems the f(k, k*ln2) >=0, i.e. k*ln2 is the solution, but this needed to be shown analytically,
and k*ln2 is not a natural number.

Let [itex]f_i(x) = (1 - x)^i - (1 -2x)^i[/itex] with [itex]x \in [0,1][/itex]. This is continuous with [itex]f_i(0) = 0[/itex] for all [itex]i \geq 1[/itex], so the problem comes for large [itex]k[/itex].

And you have continuity + compactness, which guarantee extrema.

ok, only need to show now that
## \alpha\left(k\right)\ :=\ \left(1-\tfrac{1}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k}-\left(1-\tfrac{2}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k} ##
is decreasing for k>=3, i tried to show the first derivative non-positive but the expression i got is really complicated.

what’s an approximation for ##(1-1/x)^i## for large x?

haruspex said:
what’s an approximation for ##(1-1/x)^i## for large x?

idobido said:
ok, only need to show now that
## \alpha\left(k\right)\ :=\ \left(1-\tfrac{1}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k}-\left(1-\tfrac{2}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k} ##
is decreasing for k>=3, i tried to show the first derivative non-positive but the expression i got is really complicated.
I note that the original problem statement requires ##i\in\mathbb{N}##, so you cannot set ##i=k\ln(2)##.
The approximation I was thinking of was ##(1-1/x)^i\approx e^{-i/x}##. Using that, it is easy to show that ##i\approx k\ln(2)## near equality of the target inequality. It is not clear from the thread whether you already deduced that or merely observed it numerically.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I note that the original problem statement requires ##i\in\mathbb{N}##, so you cannot set ##i=k\ln(2)##.
The approximation I was thinking of was ##(1-1/x)^i\approx e^{-i/x}##. Using that, it is easy to show that ##i\approx k\ln(2)## near equality of the target inequality. It is not clear from the thread whether you already deduced that or merely observed it numerically.
i observed i = k*ln(2) numerically, i cant use approximation, i need to show that exactly. trying to follow te comments here:
https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...t1-frac1?noredirect=1#comment10074764_4748040

i got stuck at showing that ## \alpha\left(k\right)\ :=\ \left(1-\tfrac{1}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k}-\left(1-\tfrac{2}{k}\right)^{\ln\left(2\right)k} ## is decreasing for k>=3

idobido said:
i cant use approximation
No, I know you can't use that simple approximation to answer the question. My point is that you can use it to show that the appropriate value of ##i## must be close to ##k\ln(2)##.
In principle, you might be able to use a more precise version of the approximation to solve the problem, though.
Note that ##k\ln(2)=k/2+k/12+k/30+…##.

I note this comment at the cited link "analyzing the relevant first derivatives/a well-known limit." Maybe that limit is ##\lim _{x\rightarrow\infty}(1-1/x)^i##.

1. What does k∈N mean in this equation?

K∈N means that k is a natural number, or a positive integer.

2. How do I show that there is i∈N s.t (1−(1/k))^i − (1−(2/k))^i ≥ 1/4?

To show this, you can use mathematical induction. First, prove the base case where i=1. Then, assume the statement holds for some arbitrary value of i and use that to prove it holds for i+1. This will show that it holds for all natural numbers.

3. Can I use any value for k in this equation?

No, k must be a natural number. If you try to use a different value, the equation may not hold.

4. What is the significance of (1−(1/k))^i − (1−(2/k))^i ≥ 1/4 in this equation?

This inequality is important because it shows that the difference between two expressions involving k is always greater than or equal to 1/4. This helps prove the overall statement.

5. Can this equation be solved using any other method besides mathematical induction?

Yes, there may be other methods to solve this equation. However, mathematical induction is the most straightforward and commonly used method for proving statements about natural numbers.