1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For sets A,B, if I can that show |A|=|B| and A is a subset of B, then A=B?

1. Jun 25, 2012 #1
    [Note: If this is posted in the wrong forum, I'm very sorry. It is directly related to a textbook question.]

This may be a silly question.

I know that I can prove two sets to be equal by showing that they are subsets of each other. But, what if I have that two sets have the same cardinality and that one set is a subset of the other. Is this enough to show that the sets are indeed equal?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about [itex]A=\mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]B=\mathbb{Z}[/itex].

4. Jun 25, 2012 #3
    You're right!! :)

But, I forgot to mention that they are finite. :(

5. Jun 25, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, then it is indeed true. Do you need to prove this?? It's pretty obvious, but the proof might be quite complicated.

6. Jun 25, 2012 #5
    Suppose a ε <b>. Then <a> = <b> iff a and b have the same order.

Proof [just the converse] :
    Let G be a group. Let a,b be elements of G. Suppose a ε <b> and suppose a and b have the same order. Let n=ord(a)=ord(b). Then, the cyclic groups generated by a and b have the same order. That is, n=|<a>|=|<b>|. Now, from our assumption, a ε <b> and, then, since <b> consists of all powers of b, a = bk for some integer k. Hence, <a>=<bk>, which is a subset of <b>. Then since <a> is a subset of <b> and they have the same cardinality, they must be equal. Hence, <a>=<b>, our desired result. QED

7. Jun 25, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah, that seems like a perfectly valid proof!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook