Proving Convergence of $(-1)^n/\sqrt{n+2}$ Series

In summary, the conversation discusses a series and its convergence, with a focus on the concept of conditional convergence. The first question asks for a demonstration of conditional convergence, and the conversation includes a discussion of the alternating series test. The second question involves finding the values of p for which a series converges, and the conversation includes a clarification on the form of the series and a demonstration using the comparison test.
frasifrasi
(-1)^n/sqrt(n+2) , How do I show that it is conditionally convergent?

The absolute value of the series, 1/n^(1/2) diverges, so shouldn't the series diverge?

--Also, I have never encountered a problem like this, so here is another question:

n(1+n^2)^p , for which values of p does the series converge?
I tried the integral telst by letting u = 1 + n^2, but could not get the answer...

Physics news on Phys.org
frasifrasi said:
(-1)^n/sqrt(n+2) , How do I show that it is conditionally convergent?

The absolute value of the series, 1/n^(1/2) diverges, so shouldn't the series diverge?
Do you understand what "conditionally convergent" means? By showing that The series with absolute values diverges you have shown that the series is NOT "absolutely convergent". But a series with alternating sign is a whole different matter: use the "alternating series test": if a series is of the form (-1)nan and {an} is a decreasing sequence, then the series converges. A series that converges but does NOT converge absolutely is called "conditionally convergent".

--Also, I have never encountered a problem like this, so here is another question:

n(1+n^2)^p , for which values of p does the series converge?
I tried the integral telst by letting u = 1 + n^2, but could not get the answer...
??Do you mean a fraction with that in the denominator? If so then go ahead and multiply it out: you get a polynomial with leading term n2p+ 1. It's not too difficult to show that no matter what the other terms are, eventually that fraction is smaller than 2/n2p+1 and that converges, absolutely for 2p+1> 1 or p> 0.
If you actually do mean the series n(1+ n2)p then it obviously does not converge for p> 0. If p is negative, it can be written in the form n/(1+ n2)-p. Now the denominator will have leading coefficient n2p and, dividing both numerator and denominator by n, is of the form 1/(n2p-1+ ...). That is clearly larger than 2/n2p-1 and so converges absolutely for 2p-1> 1 or p> 2.

The answer should be p < -1...
That is the series given (n(1+ n^2)^p ), there is no fractions involved.Thank you for the clarification on the first question, now the only thing I still don't get is how to do the second question. I tried using the ratio test, but it didn't get anywhere.

Sorry, I had my signs wrong! n/(1+n^2)-p is, when you multiply that out, the same as n/(n(-2p+ other terms) which is the same as 1/(n-2p-1+ other terms). You can "compare" that to 1/n-2p-1 which, by the "p test" converges absolutely for -2p-1> 1 or -2p< 2 or p< -1.

Thanks, but when I multiply what out?

[itex](1+ x^2)^{-p}[/itex], of course! (Remembering that, in this case, -p is positive.)

How do I multiply that out? I appreciate your patience but it is just not clear to me...

How would you multiply [itex](1+ x^2)^2[/itex]? [itex](1+ x^2)[/itex]?

Notice that the only thing you need to now its the leading term- the one with highest exponent.

for that multiplication, [itex](1+ x^2)^2[/itex], shouldn't the highest exponent be x^4, why do you get n^(-2p-1) for the series, where does the -1 come from?

Oh, I see you divided it by n, so it fits the form 1/n...

Last edited:
You flipped the > sign too early in post 4.

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The definition of convergence for a series is when the partial sums of the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms in the series increases.

2. How do you determine whether a series converges or diverges?

To determine whether a series converges or diverges, one can use tests such as the ratio test, the comparison test, or the integral test. These tests analyze the behavior of the series and can determine if it will converge or diverge.

3. What is the purpose of proving convergence for a series?

Proving convergence for a series is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the series and determine its sum. This is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, as well as in understanding the behavior of real-world phenomena.

4. How do you prove the convergence of a series like $(-1)^n/\sqrt{n+2}$?

To prove the convergence of a series like $(-1)^n/\sqrt{n+2}$, one can use the alternating series test. This test states that if a series alternates between positive and negative terms, and the absolute value of the terms decreases as the series progresses, then the series will converge. In this case, the absolute value of $(-1)^n/\sqrt{n+2}$ decreases as $n$ increases, so the series converges.

5. Can a series converge without its terms approaching zero?

Yes, a series can converge without its terms approaching zero. For example, the harmonic series $1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...$ is a divergent series, even though its terms approach zero as $n$ increases. This is because the terms do not decrease fast enough to satisfy the conditions for convergence.