1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For the series

1. Dec 17, 2007 #1
    (-1)^n/sqrt(n+2) , How do I show that it is conditionally convergent?

The absolute value of the series, 1/n^(1/2) diverges, so shouldn't the series diverge?

--Also, I have never encountered a problem like this, so here is another question:

n(1+n^2)^p , for which values of p does the series converge?
    I tried the integral telst by letting u = 1 + n^2, but could not get the answer...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do you understand what "conditionally convergent" means? By showing that The series with absolute values diverges you have shown that the series is NOT "absolutely convergent". But a series with alternating sign is a whole different matter: use the "alternating series test": if a series is of the form (-1)nan and {an} is a decreasing sequence, then the series converges. A series that converges but does NOT converge absolutely is called "conditionally convergent".

??Do you mean a fraction with that in the denominator? If so then go ahead and multiply it out: you get a polynomial with leading term n2p+ 1. It's not too difficult to show that no matter what the other terms are, eventually that fraction is smaller than 2/n2p+1 and that converges, absolutely for 2p+1> 1 or p> 0.
    If you actually do mean the series n(1+ n2)p then it obviously does not converge for p> 0. If p is negative, it can be written in the form n/(1+ n2)-p. Now the denominator will have leading coefficient n2p and, dividing both numerator and denominator by n, is of the form 1/(n2p-1+ ...). That is clearly larger than 2/n2p-1 and so converges absolutely for 2p-1> 1 or p> 2.

4. Dec 17, 2007 #3
    The answer should be p < -1...
    That is the series given (n(1+ n^2)^p ), there is no fractions involved.Thank you for the clarification on the first question, now the only thing I still don't get is how to do the second question. I tried using the ratio test, but it didn't get anywhere.

5. Dec 17, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I had my signs wrong! n/(1+n^2)-p is, when you multiply that out, the same as n/(n(-2p+ other terms) which is the same as 1/(n-2p-1+ other terms). You can "compare" that to 1/n-2p-1 which, by the "p test" converges absolutely for -2p-1> 1 or -2p< 2 or p< -1.

6. Dec 17, 2007 #5
    Thanks, but when I multiply what out?

7. Dec 17, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[itex](1+ x^2)^{-p}[/itex], of course! (Remembering that, in this case, -p is positive.)

8. Dec 17, 2007 #7
    How do I multiply that out? I appreciate your patience but it is just not clear to me...

9. Dec 18, 2007 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How would you multiply [itex](1+ x^2)^2[/itex]? [itex](1+ x^2)[/itex]?

Notice that the only thing you need to now its the leading term- the one with highest exponent.

10. Dec 18, 2007 #9
    for that multiplication, [itex](1+ x^2)^2[/itex], shouldn't the highest exponent be x^4, why do you get n^(-2p-1) for the series, where does the -1 come from?

Oh, I see you divided it by n, so it fits the form 1/n...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  11. Dec 18, 2007 #10
    You flipped the > sign too early in post 4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?