For those who ask: "What programming language should I learn?"

• Thread starter pbuk
  • Start date
In summary, when deciding which programming language to learn, it is important to consider your goals and the specific applications you are interested in. For hobbyists, Python may be a good choice due to its ease of use and versatility. However, for job opportunities, C or C++ may be more in demand. It is also worth considering the speed and efficiency of each language in different contexts, such as web development, scientific research, or game development. Ultimately, it is important to choose a language that aligns with your goals, rather than relying solely on generalizations or assumptions about a language's speed or popularity.
Vanadium 50 said:
If the argument is "C++ is not the best starting point", why not argue that? Don't try to pick the optimum alternative for every case.
Agreed.

Vanadium 50 said:
My advice to "what language should I learn" has consistently been "it is more important that you learn to program than what the language you first learn"
Agreed.

Technology news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
As it happens I might refer to JavaScript as my "favourite" language, in the sense that it is the one I most enjoy working in*. It also has one significant advantage: almost anyone that has a web browser already has a JavaScript compiler.

However with today's easy access to beginner-friendly IDEs and online compilers for other languages this is less of an advantage than it used to be, and besides this is PhysicsForums and Python is much better than JS for physics (or any other computational science).

* However I usually force myself to use TypeScript which avoids the problem in the picture.

I can't say this is the wittiest or funniest toon, but man is it on the nose when it comes to my dev career and its ultimate demise.

1688785914723.png

• Haha
Likes Ibix and pbuk