1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For what p does this converge?

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the limit (B-->inf) [(lnB)^(-p+1)] / (-p+1) - [(ln1)^(-p+1)] / (-p+1)

For what p does this converge?

3. The attempt at a solution

For the left side of the minus sign,
    if 1-p<0 --> 0
    if 1-p>0 --> inf

but for the ln(1) on the right side of the minus sign, ln(1)=0, so it would be
    if 1-p<0 then you would get a zero in the denominator (since ln(1) would be raised to a negative power) and therefore ---> inf
    if 1-p>0 then you would have zero as the numerator, but be left with infinity as the other value and hence ---> inf

The book says that for p>1 then it will converge. But how can that be, if you'll end up with a negative exponent for the 0??
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Is that really "ln(1)" in the last term? ln(1)= 0 of course. Also parentheses would help.
    Finally, you should not use "B" and "b" to mean the same thing but since there is no "b" in function I am going to assume you are. I am also going to assume that is [ln(b^(-p+1))]/[-p+1] - [(ln1)^(-p+1)] / [-p+1] which, since ln(1)= 0 is the same as ln(B-p+1/(-p+1)= (-p+1)ln(B)/(-p+1)= ln(b). So you have [itex]\lim{b\rightarrow \infty} ln(b) which does not converge for any p.

If you meant something else please clarify.

That converges to ln(B
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Please do not assume that when I stated (lnB)^(-p+1) I meant ln(B^-p+1) because I did not. The exponent is for the entire natural log expression. Therefore your statement regarding the answer to be just lnB is invalid. Thank you though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?