For what time does an electron move after current turned off?

In summary, the electron movement is the current in the wire so I'm not sure what you mean "after the current is turned off".You want the impulse or step responce for the circuit...The impulse or step response for the circuit is given by: v(t)=V(1-u(t)).
bananabandana
Hi,
Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of calculating the length of time an electron in a wire would continue to move after the current is turned off?
Can we use the drift velocity in some way?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electron movement is the current in the wire so I'm not sure what you mean "after the current is turned off".

You want the impulse or step responce for the circuit... For the DC case, where you are opening a switch from a voltage source at t=0, the signal is v(t)=V(1-u(t)).

This will tell you how the current dies down.

On the scale of individual electrons, they never stop moving.

bananabandana said:
Hi,
Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of calculating the length of time an electron in a wire would continue to move after the current is turned off?
Can we use the drift velocity in some way?
Thanks!
Current is zero: drift velocity is zero.
There is no (real) circuit in which the current can stop instantly (a step); the transition from current to no current will always take time and there will be a waveform - perhaps a slow change or it may involve 'ringing' as the current goes to zero. Simon Bridge's post says that, in a more formal way.

Thanks. What are [tex] u(t) [\tex] and [tex] v(t) [\tex] please?

V and I are voltages and currents that do not vary with time.
v and i are voltages and currents that do vary with time.

v(t) just says "voltage as a function of time".
u(t) is the unit (or Heaviside) step function.

So ##v(t)=Vu(t)## just says that the voltage was switched on at time t=0, and ##v(t)=V\big(1-u(t)\big)## says that the voltage V was switched off at time t=0

There's something rather odd about this thread.

First of all, if one pays attention to the original post, there's something not quite right with the way the question is being asked. As nsaspook has stated, "current" is the net movement of electrons. So if the current is "turned off", then there's no net movement! That's like asking "how fast am I moving if my speed is zero?" Did the OP meant potential difference?

Secondly, at first glance, one would want to answer this in a simplistic, elementary picture. But then, the concept of "drift velocity" is brought in. And from my perspective, I start to question if the OP understands the statistical nature of the electron gas in metals (remember, the question is about electron movement in a wire!). If so, then the simplistic, elementary picture isn't sufficient, because at a finite temperature, electrons simply don't stop moving, and so the answer to the question of when electrons stop moving after the potential difference is zero is NEVER.

When the question is vague and faulty, and the scenario and level of the question is unknown, then the question becomes a bigger puzzle than the actual physics being asked.

Zz.

Likes Nugatory
Maybe a rough estimate would be the relaxation time (τ) used in free electron gas models. (like Drude's model)
In metals the electrons "loose" their drift component due to thermal motion in a time of the order of 10^(-15) s.

1. How does an electron move after current is turned off?

Electrons move in response to an electric field, which is created by the flow of current. When the current is turned off, the electric field disappears and the electrons stop moving. They may continue to move for a short period of time due to their momentum, but eventually they will come to a stop.

2. Does an electron move at a constant speed after current is turned off?

No, the speed of an electron can vary depending on factors such as the strength of the electric field and the material it is moving through. When the current is turned off, the electric field disappears and the electron will gradually slow down and come to a stop.

3. How long does it take for an electron to stop moving after current is turned off?

The time it takes for an electron to stop moving after current is turned off can vary depending on factors such as the strength of the electric field and the material it is moving through. In most cases, the electron will come to a stop within a few nanoseconds (billionths of a second).

4. Can an electron continue to move after current is turned off?

Yes, an electron can continue to move for a short period of time after current is turned off due to its momentum. However, this movement will gradually slow down and the electron will eventually come to a stop.

5. What happens to an electron's energy after current is turned off?

When current is turned off, the electric field that was responsible for the electron's movement disappears. As a result, the electron's kinetic energy (energy of motion) is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light, as it comes to a stop.