For which values of a,b,c is this true?

• Thread starter Ted123
  • Start date
In summary, for any values of a, b, and c belonging to the set of complex numbers, the equation a(x+t)^2 + b(x+t) + c = \alpha(ax^2 + bx + c) is true if and only if \alpha = 1 and c is any complex number, or if \alpha \neq 1 and a=b=0 and c is any complex number. This means that the polynomial p(x) involved in the equation must be constant.
Ted123

Homework Statement

For which values of [itex]a,b,c\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] is the following equation true? [tex]a(x+t)^2 + b(x+t) + c = \alpha(ax^2 + bx + c)[/tex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some scalar.

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. What roles do x and t play here? Is the equation to be true for all x and t? Some x and t? ...

haruspex said:
I don't understand the question. What roles do x and t play here? Is the equation to be true for all x and t? Some x and t? ...

[itex]x[/itex] is a variable and [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a fixed constant. We want the equation to be true for all [itex]t[/itex].

If you equate coefficients you get:

[itex]a=\alpha a[/itex]
[itex]2ta+b = \alpha b[/itex]
[itex]at^2 + bt + c = \alpha c[/itex]

For what values of a, b and c are these true?

Ted123 said:
[itex]x[/itex] is a variable and [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a fixed constant. We want the equation to be true for all [itex]t[/itex].
You mean for all x, I assume. Is alpha real?
If you equate coefficients you get:

[itex]a=\alpha a[/itex]
[itex]2ta+b = \alpha b[/itex]
[itex]at^2 + bt + c = \alpha c[/itex]

For what values of a, b and c are these true?
Try considering α=1, α≠1 separately. (That's alpha, not a.)

haruspex said:
You mean for all x, I assume. Is alpha real?

Try considering α=1, α≠1 separately. (That's alpha, not a.)

If [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] then [itex]a=0[/itex] and [itex]b=0[/itex]

If [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex] then the first equation implies [itex]a(1-\alpha) = 0[/itex] so [itex]a=0[/itex] since [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex].

Subbing [itex]a=0[/itex] into the second equation gives [itex]b=\alpha b[/itex] so [itex]b(1-\alpha)=0[/itex] so [itex]b=0[/itex] since [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex].

Subbing [itex]a=0, b=0[/itex] in the third equation gives [itex]c=0[/itex]

Ted123 said:
If [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] then [itex]a=0[/itex] and [itex]b=0[/itex]
Unless t = 0.

haruspex said:
Unless t = 0.

So, assuming [itex]t\neq 0[/itex] (for if [itex]t=0[/itex] the equation is trivially true), I can conclude that the equation will be true for [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] for all [itex]c\in\mathbb{C}, a=0, b=0[/itex] and when [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex] it will only be true for [itex]a,b,c=0[/itex]?

In other words, whatever the value of [itex]\alpha[/itex], the equation will be true for all [itex]c\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] with [itex]a,b=0[/itex] so the polynomial involved [itex]p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] must be constant; i.e. [itex]p(x) = c[/itex].

Last edited:

1. What does "For which values of a,b,c is this true?" mean?

When a statement or equation includes variables, such as a, b, and c, this question is asking for the specific values of those variables that will make the statement or equation true.

2. Why is it important to know the values of a,b,c for a true statement or equation?

Knowing the values of the variables allows us to solve the equation or understand the relationship between those variables. It also helps in making predictions and drawing conclusions in scientific experiments.

3. How do I determine the values of a,b,c for a true statement or equation?

This depends on the type of statement or equation. For simple equations, you can solve for the variables using algebraic methods. For more complex equations, you may need to use numerical methods or computer simulations.

4. Can there be multiple values of a,b,c that make a statement or equation true?

Yes, there can be multiple sets of values for the variables that make a statement or equation true. This is especially true for equations with more than one variable.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of a,b,c for a true statement or equation?

Yes, there can be restrictions based on the context of the statement or equation. For example, if the variables represent physical quantities, they may have to be positive or within a certain range of values. It's important to consider these restrictions when determining the values of the variables.