1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

For which values of a,b,c is this true?

1. Nov 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For which values of [itex]a,b,c\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] is the following equation true? [tex]a(x+t)^2 + b(x+t) + c = \alpha(ax^2 + bx + c)[/tex] where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some scalar.

3. The attempt at a solution

How do I go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand the question. What roles do x and t play here? Is the equation to be true for all x and t? Some x and t? ....

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3
    [itex]x[/itex] is a variable and [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is a fixed constant. We want the equation to be true for all [itex]t[/itex].

If you equate coefficients you get:

[itex]a=\alpha a[/itex]
    [itex]2ta+b = \alpha b[/itex]
    [itex]at^2 + bt + c = \alpha c[/itex]

For what values of a, b and c are these true?

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You mean for all x, I assume. Is alpha real?
    Try considering α=1, α≠1 separately. (That's alpha, not a.)

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5
    If [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] then [itex]a=0[/itex] and [itex]b=0[/itex]

If [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex] then the first equation implies [itex]a(1-\alpha) = 0[/itex] so [itex]a=0[/itex] since [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex].

Subbing [itex]a=0[/itex] into the second equation gives [itex]b=\alpha b[/itex] so [itex]b(1-\alpha)=0[/itex] so [itex]b=0[/itex] since [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex].

Subbing [itex]a=0, b=0[/itex] in the third equation gives [itex]c=0[/itex]

7. Nov 9, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Unless t = 0.

8. Nov 10, 2012 #7
    So, assuming [itex]t\neq 0[/itex] (for if [itex]t=0[/itex] the equation is trivially true), I can conclude that the equation will be true for [itex]\alpha =1[/itex] for all [itex]c\in\mathbb{C}, a=0, b=0[/itex] and when [itex]\alpha \neq 1[/itex] it will only be true for [itex]a,b,c=0[/itex]?

In other words, whatever the value of [itex]\alpha[/itex], the equation will be true for all [itex]c\in\mathbb{C}[/itex] with [itex]a,b=0[/itex] so the polynomial involved [itex]p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c[/itex] must be constant; i.e. [itex]p(x) = c[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook