Force an app to use the selfie camera?

In summary, the person has a Pixel 3XL phone with a broken normal camera but the selfie camera still works. They need to use an app for work that only uses the now broken camera, but are looking for a way to switch to the selfie camera. However, it seems that there is no setting or app available to do this, and searching for solutions has been difficult.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a pixel 3xl. The normal camera broke this weekend, but the selfie camera still works. I have an app that I need to scan a qr code once a day for work that only attempts to use the now broken camera. If I could get it to use the selfie camera getting it to line up would be a little annoying but at least I won't have to buy a new phone. Does anyone know if there's an Android level setting to switch which camera is being used (or even an app that will let me do this?). Googling is just finding lots of things that are not actually my problem, possibly because I don't know the right words to use (e.g. the word selfie returns lots of irrelevant stuff)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
Does anyone know if there's an Android level setting to switch which camera is being used
Probably no such setting exists.
Office_Shredder said:
even an app that will let me do this?
As far as I know, this is not possible. Apps that operate the camera themselves use the Camera API or wrapper libraries, and they explicitly define which camera to use. This cannot be modified by other apps, because the source code itself has to be edited.

Yeah this is a tough one to search on. Have you tried your Phone store? They must have gotten this question or have tech help they can call for your camera.

1. How do I force an app to use the selfie camera on my phone?

In order to force an app to use the selfie camera, you will need to go into your phone's settings and locate the app permissions. From there, you can select the app in question and grant it access to use the front-facing camera.

2. Can I override an app's default camera preference and use the selfie camera?

Yes, you can override an app's default camera preference and force it to use the selfie camera. This can be done through your phone's app settings or by manually granting camera access to the app.

3. Why is my app not using the selfie camera even though I have granted permission?

It is possible that the app you are using does not support the use of the selfie camera. Some apps may only have the option to use the rear-facing camera. You may need to contact the app developer for further assistance.

4. Is there a way to permanently set an app to use the selfie camera?

Unfortunately, there is no way to permanently force an app to use the selfie camera. App permissions may be reset or changed during software updates, requiring you to manually grant camera access again.

5. Can I switch between the front and rear cameras while using an app?

This will depend on the specific app you are using. Some apps may have a built-in toggle to switch between cameras, while others may not have this feature. You can try tapping on the screen or accessing the app's settings to see if there is an option to switch cameras.