1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and change in momentum with time

1. Jan 10, 2006 #1
    Hey, It's been about 2 weeks since I've had a physics class and I just can't seem to put things together again.
    I have two problems that seem like they should be easy, and I'm sure they are, but am unsure on how to do them.

A constant force of 6.00N acts on a 3.00-kg object for 10.0 s. What are the changes in the objects momentum and velocity?

I have the equation momentum p = mv. p=(F)(delta t). Could I just do 6.00-N x 10=(3.00-kg)v and solve for v to find the velocity?

The second problem is
    The velocity of a 625-kg car is changed from 10.0 m/s to 44.0 m/s in 68.0 s by an external constant force. What is the resulting change in momentum of the car? What is the magnitude of the force?
    I tried to do p=(625)(44-10.0) to find the momentum, but that does not seem right to me. What do i do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For question one I don't think your looking for a velocity, your're looking for a change in velocity.

4. Jan 10, 2006 #3

lightgrav

Homework Helper

(delta p) = F (delta t) ... there has to be a change on both sides !

or only one side, with a ratio on the other side : F = (delta p) / (delta t).

or nowhere, as in : p = m v .

now, in your (625)(44 - 10) , does the other side have a delta, or not?

and whatever happened to UNITS ?!!

5. Jan 11, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The impulse that an object experiences is equal to the change in it's momentum!

6. Jan 15, 2006 #5
    Alright, I ended up remembering how to do these problems.

7. Jan 15, 2006 #6
    Yeah, just remember that [tex]F=ma[/tex] only works at low velocities, but [tex]F=\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex] is true always.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?