1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and potential energy function

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A single conservative force acting on a particle within a system varies as = (− Ax + Bx5) N, where A and B are constants, is in newtons, and x is in meters.

(a) Calculate the potential energy function U(x) associated with this force, taking U = 0 at x = 0. (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
    U(x) =

(b) Find the change in potential energy and change in kinetic energy as the particle moves from x = 1.90 m to x = 3.80 m. (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)

2. Relevant equations

F = -∇U

3. The attempt at a solution

for part a i took the partial derivative with respect to x in order to get the potential energy function in which i got the answer: U(x) = (A - 5Bx^4)i the system said it was wrong though.

for part b i took my equation in part a to find the change in potential energy and got -977J
    and i figured if the change in potential was lost 977 J then the change in kinetic energy would have to be gaining 977 Joules, but i was wrong again. please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2
    Nvm i was doing it backwards and should have been integrating sorry guys

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    what was the answer

what was the answer to part A

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted