Rate of loss of potential energy

In summary, for the given problem, the loss of potential energy for object (b) is calculated to be 175 J, with a rate of 175 W. However, the answer key states the rate to be 80 W, which may be a typo.
songoku
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
PE = mgh
1678204756709.png

I got answer for (a), which is 0.51 m

For (b), loss of potential energy = 35 x 9.81 x 0.51 = 175 J
Rate of loss of potential energy = 175 J / 1 s = 175 W

But the answer key is 80 W. Where is my mistake?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer of 175 W is correct.

Likes songoku, jbriggs444 and nasu
songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: PE = mgh

But the answer key is 80 W
If one were adhering to the rules of significant figures, your 175 W (175.103048... on my calculator) would round up to 180 W.

Is it possible that the answer key says "180 W" instead of "80 W"?

Likes songoku and TSny
jbriggs444 said:
If one were adhering to the rules of significant figures, your 175 W (175.103048... on my calculator) would round up to 180 W.

Is it possible that the answer key says "180 W" instead of "80 W"?
Maybe it is a typo, the answer is written 80 W.

Thank you very much TSny and jbriggs444

Likes jbriggs444 and TSny

1. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is the stored energy that can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy, when the object moves or changes its position.

2. How is potential energy related to the rate of loss?

The rate of loss of potential energy refers to how quickly an object is losing its stored energy. As the object moves or changes its position, its potential energy decreases at a certain rate.

3. What factors affect the rate of loss of potential energy?

The rate of loss of potential energy is affected by the mass of the object, the height or distance it falls, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. These factors can either increase or decrease the rate of loss of potential energy.

4. How is the rate of loss of potential energy calculated?

The rate of loss of potential energy is calculated using the formula PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height or distance the object falls. This formula gives the change in potential energy over a certain distance or time, which represents the rate of loss of potential energy.

5. Why is understanding the rate of loss of potential energy important?

Understanding the rate of loss of potential energy is important in various scientific fields, such as physics and engineering. It helps us predict and analyze the motion of objects, as well as design structures and machines that efficiently convert potential energy into other forms of energy. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena, such as the movement of planets and the flow of water in rivers and waterfalls.