Force and Potential Energy Graphs: Mastering Physics HW 11.39

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the unknown constant in the force equation for a particle moving along the x-axis, but was unsuccessful. He eventually figured it out and thanked the tutor.
Rimi

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the force exerted on a particle that moves along the x-axis. Draw a graph of the particle's potential energy as a function of position from x=0 to x=1.1 . Let U be zero at x=0.

Homework Equations

F=-dU/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to divide the force graph into three separate graphs:

From x=0 to x=.5: F(x)= 4x
From x=.5 to x=1: F(x)= -4x + 4
From x=1 to x=1.1: F(x)= 0

I then integrated each equation, and multiplied them by -1, getting U(x)= -2x^2, U(x)= 2x^2 - 2 and U(x)= 0, respectively.

When I try to graph these equations, only the first one and the last one, U(x)= -2x^2 - 2 and U(x)= 0, seem to give me the correct answer. Can someone help me figure out where I went wrong?

Attachments

• 11.P39a.jpg
    11.P39a.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 515
Physics news on Phys.org
Rimi said:

Homework Statement

The figure below shows the force exerted on a particle that moves along the x-axis. Draw a graph of the particle's potential energy as a function of position from x=0 to x=1.1 . Let U be zero at x=0.

Homework Equations

F=-dU/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I decided to divide the force graph into three separate graphs:

I then integrated each equation, and multiplied them by -1, getting U(x)= -2x^2, U(x)= 2x^2 - 2 and U(x)= 0, respectively.

When I try to graph these equations, only the first one and the last one, U(x)= -2x^2 - 2 and U(x)= 0, seem to give me the correct answer. Can someone help me figure out where I went wrong?

Your U(x) should be continuous. If you define U(0) to be 0 then U(1) isn't 0. Adjust your constants.

Dick said:
Your U(x) should be continuous. If you define U(0) to be 0 then U(1) isn't 0. Adjust your constants.

Does that mean that U(x) would have to be an absolute value function?

Rimi said:

In each integral, you get an unknown constant. To figure out what the constant is for that integral, you have to plug in known values for U and x at the start of that range.
I don't see how you got 2-2x2 by integrating -4x+4.

haruspex said:
In each integral, you get an unknown constant. To figure out what the constant is for that integral, you have to plug in known values for U and x at the start of that range.
I don't see how you got 2-2x2 by integrating -4x+4.

It should read 2x^2 - 4x. My mistake.

And I forgot all about solving for the constant first...whoops! I figured it out, though. Thanks! ^.^

1. What is a force and potential energy graph?

A force and potential energy graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's position and the forces acting upon it. The graph shows the potential energy of the object at different positions, and how this potential energy changes as the object moves.

2. How do you read a force and potential energy graph?

The x-axis of the graph represents the position of the object and the y-axis represents the potential energy. The shape of the graph indicates the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the object at different positions. The steeper the slope of the graph, the greater the force acting on the object.

3. What is the significance of the slope of a force and potential energy graph?

The slope of a force and potential energy graph represents the force acting on the object at a specific position. A steeper slope indicates a stronger force, while a flatter slope indicates a weaker force. The slope can also indicate the direction of the force, with a positive slope representing a force in the positive direction and a negative slope representing a force in the negative direction.

4. How do you determine the potential energy of an object from a force and potential energy graph?

The potential energy of an object can be determined by looking at the y-axis of the graph at a specific position. The value of the potential energy at that position is equal to the height of the point on the graph. For example, if the potential energy at a position is 5 joules, the height of the point on the graph will be 5 on the y-axis.

5. How can force and potential energy graphs be used in physics problems?

Force and potential energy graphs can be used to analyze and understand the motion of objects. By looking at the shape and slope of the graph, we can determine the forces acting on an object and how they affect its motion. These graphs can also be used to calculate the work done on an object and the change in its potential energy as it moves from one position to another.